1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with windows xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by digitalnature, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. digitalnature

digitalnature Thread Starter

Hello,
    I have a simple question but very complicated for me.I need to download software from HP,the only way that I was to download the software was to create a new user account, which I did and the software downloaded, but what happened is that my administrator account disappeared which is were I have all of my documents, pictures etc. I could not figure out how to keep my administrator account and a new user account, so I finally did a system restore which deleted the new user account and gave me back my administrator account and now I don't have the software I downloaded anymore.

What is the best way to solve this problem?

Thank you for any help

2. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

One question
    why cant you use your account to download the software please?

3. digitalnature

when I downlaod the software with my administrator account, the software does not load properly, I keep getting error msgs, it only seems to load when I create a new account, and then I loose the administrator account and I can't access my other files

4. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

What are you trying to download please
    Linky please ??

5. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Careful with that link BM. I have never had to create an account with HP to download anything.

Software, firmware, drivers. Not saying it isn't possible, but I have never experienced it.

6. digitalnature

I tried to download photo printing software that originally came with a old printer or scanner and I no longer have the cd it came on. I found the software on the HP site this is the link http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=79499
    and as I said I was able to download this software once I createt a new user account, but then lost my administrator account and it won't download properly with the administrator account.

7. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    You don't really "lose" the Administrator account, but you do lose access to it when you create your first account. All your files are still there, though.

If the files you are after are things like documents, pictures etc then you can find it in My Computer in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Documents

From there you can move them to your current My Documents folder.

8. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Sorry, I thought you had to create an account with HP.

9. digitalnature

Thank you for all of your help, I know the files are not really lost, I was trying to find out how to keep both accounts, so that I didn't have to transfer files.

10. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

If you want the Built-in Administrator account to appear on the Welcome screen, do the following:
    Click Start | Run enter regedit, press enter
    Navigate to
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList
    On the right side, if you Don't see Administrator, right click in the right pane, click New then DWORD Value, then type Administrator
    Double click Administrator in the right pane
    Set the Value Data to 1

Close Registry editor.

When you Reboot, you should now have Administrator on the Welcome screen, along with the other user accounts.

However, it's always recommended to not use the Administrator account as a User Account, but to create a new account that is a Computer Administrator. That way if something corrupts your user account, you'll still have the Built-in Administrator account to fall back out to make repairs.

You can copy the current Administrator profile to a new account using the User Profile Wizard at
    You cannot be logged into the Account you are copying from or to, so you will need a third account that is a Computer Administrator to do the copying from.

1. First create the new account and log into it once.
    2. Create a temp Computer Administrator account if needed.
    3. Log off and log into a 3rd account that is a Computer Administrator.
    4. Enter the User Profile Wizard: Control Panel | System | click the Advanced tab, click the Settings button under User Profiles.
    5. Highlight the user profile you want to copy and click Copy To.
    6. Click the Browse button, and navigate to the new user account folder.
      It will be under Documents and Settings with the same name as the user name.
    7. Click OK.
    8. Click the Change button, then the Advanced button, then click the Find Now button.
    9. Select the new user name from the list.
    10. You'll now click the OK button three times, then should get a warning that the folder already exists. Click Yes to continue.
    11. When the copy is complete, click OK to close the User Profile Wizard.
    12. Click OK to close System Properties.
    Log into the new account and confirm your data is all there, then to save disk space you can log into the Administrator account and clear the Internet Cache, delete duplicate files in My Documents and Favorites, etc.
    Or, you can just delete the Administrator folder under Documents and Settings. The next time you log into the Administrator account, it will be re-created as a brand new account.

Note that if you have shortcuts on your desktop or start menu that point to files in your profile (My Documents for example), the Target of the shortcut should be updated, but the Start In folder might not be updated, and will still point to the profile it was copied from. So if you delete that profile, the shortcut may stop working.

HTH

Jerry

11. digitalnature

Thank you all, I will try

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756983

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice