1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help with wireless card

Discussion in 'Networking' started by todd66, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. todd66

todd66 Thread Starter

my daughter was given a laptop (specs listed below). the previous owner wiped out the hard drive and reinstalled windows xp, it appears everything works except for the wireless card. i have installed the proper drivers from linsys for the card. the card is recognized when i insert it, and in the device manager it says that the card is there, enabled and working properly. when i try to search for availible networks it says none are availible(there are four in the area). my wireless router is a linksys N and it is broadcasting in all the channels. the only error message i get is that the card is not active. i have tried disabling and re-enabling the card multiple times, but it says that it is not active, i also have tried to connect to the internet directly to the modem and i cannot.
    can anyone offer suggestions thank you

2. todd66

todd66 Thread Starter

forgot the computer specs

gateway solo 9500
    windows xp sp2
    intel pentium III
    844 mhz 128 MB ram
    toshiba hard drivee MK2016GAP
    toshiba DVD-ROM SD-R2002
    lucent win modem
    intel 8255x-based pci ethernet adapter 10/100
    wireless-g notebook adapter wpc54g v3 #2

3. Wino

Wino

I have a Solo 9550 - basically same laptop - maybe we can work thru it. First that comes to mind - is your router set to send/receive Mixed B, G & N wireless.? I presume you have tried direct hardwiring with standard RJ45/ CAT5/6 cable and not cross over?? Is your network encrypted? and are all settings in wireless correct, i.e. DHCP automatic?. Are you using Windows to set up or Linksys PCMCIA card software?

4. todd66

todd66 Thread Starter

yes i have tried those steps and i have gone through them with a tech from linksys, the only thing that i can think of is when the harddrive was formatted, he did not install some driver(s) correctly or destroyed the networking on the computer, is that a possiblity? i will try those steps again though, cant hurt to try...

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I would download from the PC manufacturer's web site and install the latest chipset drivers, then the networking drivers (even it that means a reinstall), and then any other ones that may still be needed. Sometimes networking does not work if the correct chipset drivers have not been installed first.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757437

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice