1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help with wireless internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ferritt, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ferritt

ferritt Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm having big problems with my wireless internet connection. I'm using a macbookpro and for some reason my wireless speed is really slow sometimes like dailup! I have a virgin media 4mb connection which is connected to a d-link 614+ router. No computer are connected to the router via ethernet (only when I want my true connection speed). I have a HP printer connected to router via ethernet. I have set up a network with wep security, before anybody says go for wpa I cant as for some reason my mac wont connect when i create one? The strongest signal i get on my network is when I use it on channel 11 if i change it my signal goes down. Somebody on road is also running a network on channel 11 but this has wpa would this affect mine. I havent run a speed tests on my other xp machine yet but by just using the net on it i can tell it's quicker. Can anybody help my with this problem? I know it's not my ISP as when using the internet via ethernet I get my 4mb connection. Is it my mac? what could be wrong? Advice please.

[​IMG]
    cheers

2. invalidusername

invalidusername

To see if the problem is due wireless, bring your wireless computer to the proximity of the router, maybe 10' away. Do the speed test, if things are still slow, then we need to look at your IPCONFIG setting. I do not know how you get that info on Mac.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Do the speed tests on a wired and wireless connection so we have a point of reference.

4. ferritt

ferritt Thread Starter

Hi, just ran another speed test this morning with my macbook pro in the same room as router (about 3m away). results:

[​IMG]

Then ran another but this time mac was downstairs:

[​IMG]

so as far as i can see my connection is ok at the moment. But I'm assuming that later on my connection will be worse. Also the other network on my road is off at the moment so I aslo assume that this is why my conection is as it should be. Will run some more tests when the other network is on.

cheers

5. JohnWill

Sure looks like wireless interference to me. :)

6. ferritt

ferritt Thread Starter

Hi again,

Just ran again and these are the results.
    1st via wireless connection downstairs:
    [​IMG]

2nd via wireless connection macbook pro place rights next to router:
    [​IMG]

3rd test via direct ethernet connection: measured in megabytes
    [​IMG]

Not to sure what interference could be causing this? Would the fact that on my macboo pro under network options i've gave my computer a static ip address instead of letter the router choose. Would this affect it? I'm now gonna do a test on my other xp machine and post results.

cheers

EDIT:

Results of xp machine test:

1st test via wireless connection (machine placed rigvht to router)
    [​IMG]

2nd test via wireless conection (machine location downstairs)
    [​IMG]

3rd test via direct ethernet connection
    [​IMG]

All results around the same speed. So by the looks of it the problem is my mac right? any ideas or surgestions. May have alook in the mac section.

cheers

7. JohnWill

Looks like the Mac wireless has no decent range, or is very susceptible to interference.

8. SoltoN

SoltoN

Dont be so quick to blame the computer, the router can play a large role in speeds as well. The d-link 614+ is sort of the Kia of wireless routers. Think about it, your connecting $2000 machines to a $20 device and complaining about performance. Try getting a more powerful router, something that has the ability to output RF further than 20 ft. consistently at a decent power level.

Right now, look to Draft N devices for the best performance. Even on a MacBook with wireless G (not N), I noticed a change of about 300 ft. in range since upgrading my router.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Somebody on road is also running a network on channel 11"

Unless the signal strength of that network is significantly less than yours (say, 1 or 2 bars to 5) that is the source of wireless interference. Security on that network and whether you use dynamic or static IP makes no difference.

10. JohnWill

Even if that were true, you don't explain the fact that the Windows machine works fine on the Linksys, and the Mac doesn't. I don't know how you figure it's the router's fault. :rolleyes:

11. ferritt

ferritt Thread Starter

I've tried to change the channel from number 11 but when I do this I run into problems. Can't seem to get any computer to connect. Only seem's to work on channel 11 but I'm certain that the nextdoor network is causing interference. I will try it at the weekend when I've got more time. I will post the results once I've managed to change the network channels.

12. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

402 i quite a bit faster than any dialup.

did you use the same encryption?

my son's macbook "n", connects to the rest of the "g" stuff off the linksys 54g as fast, if not faster than the other laptop/desktops using both usb and pcmcia adapters.

13. ferritt

ferritt Thread Starter

yes I always use wep. Tried WPA but can never get both machines to connect. For the last few days connection has been fine. Been maxing out when using usenet! The only real "slowness" I find is when I'm actualy browsing pages seem slower to load compared to the other xp machine.

cheers

14. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

i do diskcleanup, not sure what macbook calls it, at least one a week and defrag when one of the cats is more than 10% freagmented.

is the other xp machine laptop/desktop, usb/pci/ob/pcmcia or ethernet?

15. ferritt

ferritt Thread Starter

My xp notebook has built in wireless.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589998

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice