Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

help with wireless laptop/ethernet desktop

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
My laptop is connected to the network wirelessly using 2wire. This is working fine. I have the 2wire portal connected to a linksys dsl router ("etherfast"). The desktop is connected via ethernet cable to the linksys router. The internet works fine for the desktop. My problem is getting the two computers to see each other on the network. When I connect my laptop to the router via ethernet....network works. But when laptop is wireless (which I need to be logistically) ....network does not work. Can someone help me figure this out?

Thanks,

Liz

#2 ·
With the network connected wirelessly, go through these troubleshooting steps.

Turn off any firewalls for debugging. If the firewall is the problem, you'll have to configure it to allow access to "trusted zone" addresses. Note that some firewalls must be completely uninstalled to stop them from affecting your networking.

PING each computer by IP address, and if successful, PING by name. You can obtain the IP address of a computer by opening a command prompt (DOS window) and typing IPCONFIG. This should work for any Windows version. A failure here needs to be corrected before you go any farther.

All computers should be in the same workgroup for computer browsing to function properly. File & Print Sharing has to be enabled on any computer you wish to share files or printers from. You also need to actually share the resource in question from My Computer, right click on the drive/printer/folder, and select sharing.

If you encounter difficulties accessing computers that are visible in Network Neighborhood, make sure the computer being accessed has an account with the same name/password as the system connecting to it uses to login.

While the default NetBIOS setting is correct for normal network configurations, it's possible for it to be altered, and it costs nothing to make sure it's correct. NETBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled for normal network browsing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.