1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help with wires (first build)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maastmike, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maastmike

maastmike Thread Starter

this is my first build and it would be great if some one could help me with the wires. this has been a very frustrating build because a friend of mine was suppose to be here to walk me through it, but will not be able to due to some personal issues. i now had all these parts and had to learn some what on my own. i was able to install the cpu heat sink onto the mobo, install the mobo into the case, install the power supply into the case, as well as the ram and graphics card. i did have some problems with installing the mobo and im HOPING i did everything right.

now i need to get to the wires to make sure everything was installed correctly then move onto the HD/ DVD brn.

any help would be great. im hoping to find some one who has the time and can meet up on AIM and walk me through. thanks.

CASE THERMALTAKE VL8000
    MOBO GIGABYTE GA-H55M-S2V H55 1156 R
    VGA PNY VCG98GTEE1XPB 9800 EE
    PSU COOLMASTER RS-460 PSAR-J3 RT
    CPU INTEL CORE i3 550 3.20G 4M R
    MEM 2Gx2 GSKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
    HD 1T HITC 7K 32M SATA2 0F10383
    DVD BRN ASUS DRW-24B1ST

2. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Hello there. You need to plug all the wires for the power into all the following components;

• Motherboard 24 pin + 4 pin
    • Hard Drive (use one of the plugs that will fit usually thin black plugs)
    • Disk drive (Sata like the hard drive)
    • Graphics card (If it has a plug socket on it)
    After you have done the power cables you will need to run SATA cables from both the disk drive and the hard drive. These are L-shaped connectors that are black and usually have red wire about 3/4 an inch wide.

Jack-O-Bytes

3. maastmike

maastmike Thread Starter

well i figured it out on my own with a little reading and after getting all the wires connected i started it up and the mobo ran for about two secs then shut off.

i proceeded to do a bench test with only the cpu, gpu, 1 stick of ram, the front panel header connections, the 20/4 pin connection, and the 4 pin 12v atx connector. i started it up and it ran beautifully

whats my next step?

4. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Did you put the spacers in between the motherboard and the case?

5. maastmike

maastmike Thread Starter

it came with two stand off's and one plastic spacer. i wasnt sure where to put the spacer, but i screwed in the two stand off's into the M hole and the AM hole. im not sure if thats right...

6. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

This is the part when your on your own with computer building really. You need to lay the motherboard into the case with it all turned off and see which holes line up where. You then need to screw the spacers into where the motherboard holes are but not anywhere that they isn't a hole in the motherboard as this can short circuit the board. Here is a quick video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1X2Wpwl4dg

Jack-O-Bytes

7. maastmike

maastmike Thread Starter

well i know what the problem was... i think. the stand off's/ risers were in backwards. im still not sure where the spacer goes.

theres an M hole and an AM hole. this is where the risers go?

8. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

I don't know to be honest all cases are a lot different to each other and some use spacers some don't it is very hard to sort out without actually being there.

9. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

You just need to check that once the motherboard is sitting on top of the spacers that all of the holes in the board have a stand off underneath to screw into and that there are not stand offs that are under the motherboard where it doesn't have a hole.

Jack-O-Bytes

10. win2kpro

win2kpro

The chassis (case) should have come with a bag of hardware that included stand-offs. One of the most common type of stand-off is the brass type shown in pic #1 of the attached pics. Some chassis may have a raised "mound" type stand-off as shown in pic #2. Some chassis use a combination of both types.

Most Micro ATX boards use 6 or 7 stand-offs and a standard ATX board normally uses 11 stand-offs. You need to insert the motherboard in the chassis where the I/O connectors are lined up with the I/O shield and see where the stand-offs need to be installed in the chassis. Many chassis will have the holes marked as ATX or mATX to show where the stand-offs should be installed. If you install a stand-off in the wrong location it may "short circuit" the board to the chassis.

Attached Files:

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/981312

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice