Help with writing files to CD-RW

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

orianna

Hello, I am trying to find a way to save documents on a CD-RW. These files are medical records under the patient's name. When they are seen again, I so far see no way to copy/save the file without having to overwrite the first file unless I change the file name somehow, but I need to keep all these records. Is there a way to set it up to save all files, or is there some other mode out there that would serve my purpose? Also, I have resource files, as in doctor's names, addresses, etc, that are constantly being updated. How do I just save the updated file and not keep the old one?

As well, there seem to be a lot of programs out there to burn music files etc, but I am interested to know if there is one for data files.

Thanks for any help.

I'm not totaly sure I understand what it is your trying to do...

I assume you have 1 file per person, that you need to update everytime? What format are these files in?

Personaly you sound like you need something like Excel for Access so you can have all the information laid out in the format that you want.

As for the burning software it depends on what Operating System you are using.

Bit more info would be helpful for a better answer...

DoubleHelix

Banned
You would have to format the disk using packet writing software, and then you can edit the file and save it with the same name just like you would on the hard drive, a floppy disk, or a flash drive.

The problem is that packet writing is not a reliable way to store important data. Not all computers will be able to read the disk, and corruption is very possible.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I agree with DoubleHelix, I wouldn't use packet writing for important documents. AAMOF, I don't ever store important data in a single place, I opt for multiple backups.

If I understand you right, you have files in a folder that you burn on a CD-RW. Then, tomorrow, if the information in one of those files changes, you want to be able to change the file in the folder that's already burned - without having to erase and start all over again. Am I correct?

JP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online