Help With Xp Installation

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

stupidXPuser

Listen guys and girls,
I understand that most old games cannot and will not run on windows XP...but I have scanned the web over and over again and found everyone else to be running smoothly on XP with the game Return To Zork(on floppy disks) my installation goes ok well, it will install some and totally crash bvack to windows and I just rerun it and continue with it and it may do it once or twice more before it finishes. Then after 100% completion it will ask for me to put the second disk into the a drive...ok while I am doing that it crashes and I have to start the installation all over. I have been killing myself for years trying to find this game again and now that I have I am bummed that I cannot play it while others still are able to. Can anyone tell me what these people are doing to get it to work on their computers(XP)? PLEASE THIS GIRL IS DYING! lol...ok not dying but I feel as though seizures will start soon....hehe THanks to any and all who help!!!

I'm not familiar with the game so can't help other than the suggestion you may or may not have tried. MS provides a tool that does help some: Start > All Programs > Accessories > Compatibility Wizard.

stupidXPuser

I tried to change compatability but nothing works. I even tried to change the sound card info to use midi or internal speakers because I know alot of times with old games on XP that is the case. Nothing works...sometimes I wonder if I should just buy a new computer....lol....or at least put windows 98 on my comp. But that presents another problem thanks to XP's great hardware...lol....I really dont like this...:-( Anyhoo-thanks for the reply I appreciate you trying :D

I've successfully downloaded and played the original Zork on Windows XP. I can't see why yours won't work, try searching for a download of it and playing from there. That would probably work better.

maybe your disk is damaged have you tried installing that disk on another computer with Xp or any other os?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
There is a program called VDMSOUND that may be able to run your old MS-DOS game. But there is no guarrantees. I have a game that I'm longing to play but it's incompatible.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online