1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with XP printer driver (should be easy fix!)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by OldDosGuy, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldDosGuy

OldDosGuy Thread Starter

Here's the deal and it's a doozy for me. I have a Samsung laser printer, model ML-5050G. I've been to Samsung's website and they don't even list that printer. I bought the printer new several years ago and it's been on a Win 98 computer until now. I have the original driver CD. Since I can't find any XP drivers for this printer, I'm using the Win 98 drivers.

When I install the 98 drivers, I get the usual warning about it not having XP's blessing. But I continue anyway and the printer driver works fine with Windows XP.

However, every time I boot, the computer says it's found new hardware (my laser printer) and wants to install drivers again, even though the drivers are really installed and working. I just click on "Cancel" and everything is OK.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers several times, and checked the box, "Don't try to install again." Still no luck. Every time I boot, the computer thinks it has found new hardware.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of this annoyance? Any advice greatly appreciated.

OldDosGuy

2. roban

roban

3. OldDosGuy

OldDosGuy Thread Starter

Ah, thank you my friend. I have downloaded the driver but I'm on the wrong computer now. However, I will try it later tonight or tomorrow.

Thank you again. I will come back and let you know if it takes care of my problem, even thought I'm 99% sure it will. (y) (y)

OldDosGuy

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!