1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help woth monitor / graphics card maybe ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brythered92, Sep 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brythered92

brythered92 Thread Starter

hello guys im not really that experienced with this sort of thing but i have a basic and general understanding of computers and how they work. well my problem seems to be coming form my computer itself i have these pink block like lines on the screen running vertically down my monitor and it is covering every thing so i cant see whats behind them :/ i have tried using a different monitor and even my tv and it does the same thing i also have tried another cable from monitor to pc but to no avail :/ any helpful tips and advice would be much appreciated guys thanks for your time

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

It sounds like an issue with your graphics card, what is the exact make and model of you PC, assuming its a branded make like HP or Dell?

If it is a custom / self build, what is the make and model of Motherboard, RAM, graphics card, CPU, hard drives, sound card etc.

Does the problem occur as soon as you turn the machine on or only when you log into Windows (assuming your using Windows :) )?

How old is the machine and have you ever cleaned out the dust bunnies inside it? Dust build up inside a PC will help keep heat in and thats not a good thing, overheating components is a common cause of failure.

3. brythered92

ahhh thanks for your swift reply and the welcome :D i am using windows and my computer is an advent t9307 its about 4/5 years old and cost me around 600 quid as i got it when it was first brought into production. this is the only problem ive ever had with the computer and it has done me well .

it has an intel core 2 duo processor
    with an ati radeon x1650se

and as for the dust every 6 months or so i clean as much as i can using a soft brush attachment with my hoover :/

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Good to see you are cleaning it regularly, although the hoover attachment isn't the best option because the atificial fibres can generate static which can fry components. Your best bet is to get a tin of canned air and blast it out with that.

I definately think your graphics card (ati radeon x1650e) has had it's day and needs replacing, if that card did what you needed to do you could probably pick up a similar one pretty cheap to replace it. If you upgraded any amount I would suggest looking at changing the power supply (PSU) aswell.

Is the graphics card an addon card or is it part of the motherboard?

5. brythered92

ahh i see ill change the way i clean it from now on then. the card is standard to my computer and is part of the mother board could i buy the same card again if so where from and how hard are they to change ? :) thanks :D

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If it is integrated nto the motherboard you can't change it. You could install a descrete graphics card though, then turn off the integrated graphics in bios.

7. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    As dustjay says, you will need to buy a seperate add on card, if you are happy with the same sort of card it shouldn't cost you too much. However, it may be worth while checking (and possibly upgrading) the power supply a bit aswell. To check, take the side of the machine and have a look at the power supply (normally at the top rear of the case, it will have a load of cables coming out of it and going to various componenets. It should have a sticker or something on the side of it which will tell you about it, something like: http://www.dansdata.com/images/seasonic/label640.jpg

Either take a picture and post it, or reply with all the info you can e.g. Make, Model, how many watts, all the output info etc.

Where do you live (US, UK etc.)? With that info we may be able to point you toward dealers that are relevant to your country.

8. brythered92

9. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    That particular card will not fit into your PC. Unfortunately the one you listed is an AGP card (AGP is the type of slot it fits into) and you machine doesn't appear to have one as far as I can tell from this link.

http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/advent/pc/t9307.htm

You need to find a PCI-Express graphics card, again, you should be able to get an adequate replacement. For roughly the same price as the one you listed, you should be able to get a much better card. However, if you go down that route a power supply upgrade may also be worth while as the newer card will draw a little more power.

Have a look here at the lower end cards for either ATI or NVidia: http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Graphics+Cards/

You looking at around £28+ for an ATI HD4350 or NVidia 8400, which are better than the card you have, plus they will be brand new so will have warranty etc. I use Aria alot when buying parts and haven't had any problems with them.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/950092

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice