1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help writing a batch file to capture network printers and mapped drives

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by lexvegas, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lexvegas

lexvegas Thread Starter

I was trying to write a batch file that while logged into a users account in Win7 or WinXP, I could capture network printers and network mapped drives. Then the captured details of the network printers and mapped drives could be put in a .txt file on my thumb drive.

Any help?!?

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

The Net Use command will show you all the mapped drives on the computer. I am not sure how to get a list of the network printers. Will try and look into that for you.

3. Squashman

This following command will get you all printers installed on the system. I am not sure how to just get the Networked printers.

Code:
    cscript c:\windows\system32\prnmngr.vbs -l

4. valis

valis Moderator

wouldn't that require prnmgr.vbs? I don't have that on my W7 rig.......at least, I don't think I do.

5. valis

valis Moderator

whups, yes I do.....it's in the printing_admin_scripts subfolder.....my error, Squashman.......

6. Squashman

Thanks for checking that it is there on Windows 7. I assumed it was but wasn't sure.

7. valis

valis Moderator

i just changed it to

Code:
    C:\Users\user.name>cscript C:\Windows\System32\Printing_Admin_Scripts\en-US\prn
    mngr.vbs -l
    worked like a charm.

Thanks, Squashman. Didn't even know that one was there.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!