1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help - .XML files - Read/Write error - Vista won't allow app/pgm to copy/backup files

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by badge671, May 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. badge671

badge671 Thread Starter

Hello,

First time on this forum, so I hope I chose the right category to post my problem. I just got a new laptop, and it has Vista Home Premium.

My problem.. I use a program/application called "DVArchive" (aka: DVA) for archiving my tv shows on my PC (from my ReplayTV). This application worked just fine on XP, but of course, Vista is giving me all kinds of crap.

The application IS working.. It can see my ReplayTV unit, I can access my archived shows, etc. However, Vista is giving me error messages, which are interfering with it and making it crash.

The problem has to do specifically with the applications configuration (.XML) files. I'm pretty tech saavy, but I'm not a computer expert, so I'll just cut and paste the actual error messages below. The listed pathways are where DVArchive stores it's files...
    04/29 23:12:17 ERROR: XMLUTILS:: Error trying to create XML Output file C:\Users\badg671\Documents\DVArchive\Local_Guide\DVArchive.bak - C:\Users\badg671\Documents\DVArchive\Local_Guide\DVArchive.bak (Access is denied)

04/29 23:12:17 ERROR: Error flushing persistant store - C:\Users\badg671\Documents\DVArchive\Local_Guide\DVArchive.bak (Access is denied)

04/29 23:26:13 ERROR: LOCAL_STORE::SAVE: Unable to rename old store C:\Users\badg671\DVArchive.xml to backup C:\Users\badg671\DVArchive.xml~ - PLEASE BE SURE THE DIRECTORY/FILE CAN BE READ/WRITTEN TO
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    ________

Basically, it looks like Vista is not allowing this app to copy/backup these .XML files. I've been trying things like disabling UAC, changing ownership and editing permissions on files, etc, but not with much luck. And, I get no option under properties for "Compatibility" (no tab), or "Run as Administrator" (option is greyed out). The DVArchive runs on an executable .jar file.

I'm a novice. Ownership/Permissions tampering is all new to me. I don't want to do anything too drastic without some help from more knowledgable people. The one error I keep getting is the third one, "Unable to rename old store (DVArchive.xml to DVArchive.xml~) - Please be sure the directory/file can be read/written to".. that's the one error I always get.

I'm really hoping someone can help me solve this problem.

Thank you,

Zack

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Right click the program executable and select "run as administrtor"
    and see if it still errors.
    If it doesn't,right click the executabe program and click
    properties.
    Set it to run as administrator and apply.

3. badge671

badge671 Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for your response.

I've tried that, but it doesn't give me to option to run as administrator when I right-click. Not sure why (executable .jar file?).

As far as going into properties, you're referring to 'ownership' administrator, correct? I believe I've done that, but I'll try agin. I'll play around with it a little more and get back to you.

Thanks again.

4. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

.jar is a java file,so you may need to set java to run as administrator.
    Exexcutables should have the option check box to set run
    as administrator under properties.

5. badge671

badge671 Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll try that.

How/where do I find the java file location? I'm not sure what version is currently on my computer.

6. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\java
    May need to be on administrator account to set run as administrator.

7. badge671

badge671 Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for your help. I have it working like a charm, now.

I did several things, so I don't know EXACTLY what did the trick. First off, running things as Administrator.. there was some confusion there for me. When I'd right-click and see the Admin Shield on everything, I assumed that meant that they were already running as Administrator (i.e. I thought the shield was like a check-mark). Also, I think I finally figured out a way to configure my DVArchive to store these .xml files in a public folder (c\users\public\Recorded TV). I found the JAVA and ran that as administrator. And, I also downloaded something called WinDVA, which can be used to launch/run DVArchive (and, I AM able to run that as Administrator! I can force it to use an older java, too, if necessary).

Working like a charm, now (knock on wood) :)

Thanks again for your tips. Not sure if that's what did it, but it certainly didn't hurt.

Just one question.. on Java, for example, would I have to run that as administrator every time I log back onto my computer? Or, will it now run that way every time?

Zack

8. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

If you set it to run as administrator in properties,
    it will do that every time.
    If you right click the program and choose run as administrator,
    it only does it that one time.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!