1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP!!! XXClone hangs/froze at 96% complete

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by passesin, Oct 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. passesin

passesin Thread Starter

XXClone has been backing up my C:\ drive to Seagate removable drive. It stopped / hung / froze at 96% complete. It stopped because XXClone could not find a file (do not remember as entered through the message - I think it was NT??????? but not sure). Then it said it would create a dual boot disk in diskette (A). I inserted a A:\ drive via a USB port,but apparently it does not recognize it. "My Computer" sees the A:\ drive. I have a 1.44 floppy disk in drive A:\. It gave a brief message about not recognizing a 1.44 disk, I don't have any other drive I can use as an A:\ drive. The backup is 96% complete and will not continue. How can I get XXClone to finish backing up?

XXClone is freeware ver 0.58.0 from Hiren's Boot Disk 14.0.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64bit
    Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
    System Manufacturer eMachines
    System Model ET1331G
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 235e Processor, 2700 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date AMI P01-A0, 8/13/2009
    SMBIOS Version 2.6

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is there any problem with your hard drive? Did you run chkdsk /f before cloning to be sure the file system was intact?

Where are you cloning the drive to?

The floppy drive is far too small to be of any use in a cloning project. You will need an external or internal hard drive.

3. passesin

passesin Thread Starter

The cloning is from C:\ to a Seagate portable drive. The File Volume on C:\ is 331gb and the amount transfered to the Seagate drive is 330gb (the total size is 931gb). The c:\ has a damaged OS which is the reason for backup. The Seagate drive was formatted just before starting XXClone. XXClone stopped when it could not find a file. I think the missing file should have been on c:\ , but probably was not there because of the damage to the OS. When XXClone could not find the file, it said it wanted to create a dual boot disk and to put a disk in drive a:\. I initially put a dvd in drive e:\ the DVD/CD drive when it responded it did not accept a 1.44 floppy disk. The DVD natually is not that. I have had no response since. I have tried using a A:\ with a 1.44 floppy as I have no other floppy. It was a no go. Then I rename the e:\ DVD drive to a:\, also with no success. It is currently hung with "Step 1 (making the target drive bootable) ....... Checking the diskette (A:).

I have not had a way to restart the program and definitely do not want to "Cancel" because multiple possible problems.

Is HELP on its way?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Why are you cloning a damaged OS? It's not like it will run better later.

You know, don't you, that after cloning, you are supposed to take out the original drive and repalce it with the clone. That is the only way that a clone is of any use since it can't boot from a different location or on a different machine.

Are you sure a clone is what you really want? What are you trying to accomplish?

5. passesin

passesin Thread Starter

I am attempting to fix the operating system with the help of Microsoft Support, but with no guarantees that 1) it will work and 2) if it does work, some or all of the installed programs will work. They recomended backing up before starting the fix. I opted for cloning because I could not get a complete back up to work. Now isn't that a bit of the sublect of fixing my problem. I am still hung at 96% and need help restarting or some how exiting without causing additional problems. Can anyone offer a constructive response? I don't need any other advice. A fix for my problem would be most appreciated.:)

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

You haven't told us the problem, so we can't help fix it. Obviously, XXClone will not work. And you have no way to restore any clone you made if you needed it, anyway.

I'll give no more advice, but I'm not at all sure what you are doing. We can close the thread if you want no more help. Good luck.

7. passesin

passesin Thread Starter

Apparently, I am not clear with my problem. Please let me rephrase.

1)My c: drive has problems with the operating system (Windows 7 Professional 64 bit)
    2)I am working with Microsoft Support to fix the problem.
    3)Before doing the requested fix they advised me to backup my files.
    4)I tried several backup programs, all of which failed.
    5)I did not want to loose all the programs (many) I have installed.
    6)I figured a bad operating system is better than a)none and b)taking the time (now) to reinstall all the programs (approximately 40 hours of installing)
    7)Since backups did not work I decided to clone the drive (better bad system than none)
    8)I started XXClone which has run for ~ 24 hours without a problem.
    9)Now at 96% complete it is hung up.
    10)I need help in restarting the program so I can have a complete backup and an operating drive if necessary, should the Microsoft resolution not work and in the process make the installed programs not work.
    11)I have described above where the program is hung up and what the program was doing just prior to it stalling.

To clarify I need HELP with: restarting the program so I will have a complete backup.

If I have omitted anything regarding why I am cloning or what help I need, please ask what needs additional explainations.

I would appreciate help with restarting XXClone to complete the backup.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024491

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice