1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP: Yet Another Install Issue

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by setotitan, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. setotitan

setotitan Thread Starter

I've got a Dell Precision PC at work, that for whatever reason they need to reinstall Windows XP. The guy who usually handles this is otherwise occupied and I need to finish the job myself. Issue is when I boot it up, install disc or not, it goes straight into resuming installation. It's past asking where to install, and the partition questions, it's at the blue screen where it has the time estimations listed on the left hand side. The install is going along fine until it needs some graphics driver. (I don't remember the name off hand but I can look it up if it's important to troubleshooting this.) I Google'd the driver and it's some 3rd party thing. I've got both the recovery discs from Dell and neither one contains the driver. I actually went through a giant hassle, found the driver on the net, burnt it to a CD and fed it in. I thought all was well but then 10 seconds later it asks for another driver! Now I don't mind hunting this one down either, however my concern is it's going to want several more files, and not know what those files are until I give it the file it's asking for. Having scour the web for each file, burn it to a disc, restart the install, rinse and repeat for who knows how long sounds like a daunting process. There's got to be another option, something I'm missing. I've never encountered Windows install asking for files that weren't on the recovery discs. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I have a dell precision m6300 with windows xp pro in it. Im not sure how you are installing windows. Are you putting in the cd that has the xp operating system on it then hitting F12 for the boot order and then booting from the cd?It shouldnt need any drivers until its completely installed where you see the recycle bin and the green rolling hill wallpaper and the start menu etc. Then you take out the cd and put in the drivers.If its xp it should just be one disk with the operating system on it. If its 2 disks it sounds like the windows xp media center edition.The drivers you need are on the dell site under support drivers and downloads. the graphics driver should be either an intel or a nvidia. But make sure you download and put on a cd for future use all of the drivers for that model.If you type in the service code number for that model you should get all of the correct ones needed.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, there is an other option. Don't install those drivers. They were installed later after the OS was installed the first time. Skip them, finish installing, and then install the drivers you need. This is not at all uncommon when doing a repair. You would not get that problem with a new installation. Those drivers were installed in such a way that they are listed in XP's txtsetup.sif file as needed for setup. But XP is wrong.

4. setotitan

setotitan Thread Starter

You know I actually never thought of that. I haven't tried canceling out of that screen, Windows just demanded a driver and I hopped to it to find it. HAhAhaha! I'm going to do more troubleshooting today, I'll give that a shot, thanks!

FOLLOW UP:
    Well that didn't work, it's stuck on some infinite loop or something. It let me cancel the driver request, and finished the installation. However when it rebooted, it jumped right back into a new install, asked me for the driver again. This time I canceled out, and when I rebooted ejected the install disc first. It still went into right back to the install again. I know they wanted to avoid a format, but at this point I think that's my only option.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030123

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice