1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by zack0030, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zack0030

zack0030 Thread Starter

I have a semi old HP Compaq 8510w. Everytime i try to open internet explorer its loads and then stop. I used my other laptop to download Firefox and install it on the Compaq, but that stilldidnt work. I need help..If this question doesnt make since comment or whatever and ill try to be more specific. Thanks for any help..

2. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Can you be more specific with your computer specs? Which version of windows you are currently running so I can see that you have the correct drivers.
    This site will give you options to choose which version of windows you are currently running.
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...eId=321957&prodSeriesId=3369263&lang=en&cc=us

Double check in device manager for any missing drivers with more detail and post it here. And then we'll get to fixing your internet issue

3. zack0030

zack0030 Thread Starter

i know that its running windows vista, but the other things im not sure about.. Can u tell how to view them so i can tell u?

4. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Which Vista?
    Microsoft Windows Vista Business (32-bit) [​IMG]
    Microsoft Windows Vista Business (64-bit)
    Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise (32-bit)
    Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise (64-bit)
    Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic (32-bit) [​IMG]
    Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit)

You can see the exact version by clicking on start > control panel> and click on "System info"
    That will show your computer specs.

While you have System Info open you will see a tab that says "Hardware" click on that tab and there is a box that says "device manager" click on it. A window will appear showing all the drivers installed on your system. What I need to know is if you see a yellow triangle with a "!" or a question mark next to any of the drivers listed and if so tell me which ones.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Can you be more specific. It becomes unresponsive after it loads, but before it displays the home page(s)?

6. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

My apologies I assumed the display was indicating no connection. A few more questions:
    Were you able to connect display IE on that PC before? Did this problem just occur?
    One more suggestion- have you tried opening IE in safemode? If not here's how. To use a Safe mode you must restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press the F8 key when the Boot Menu appears. Next use the arrow keys to choose Safe mode with networking in Windows when the menu appears, and then press enter. Log in as Administrator and once windows finishes loading try opening IE and see if the problem still occurs.

7. zack0030

zack0030 Thread Starter

ok its running windows vista business 32 bit. and when i open the device manager there is a yellow triangle with a ! in it right next to "PCI Serial Port" other than that no yellow triangles....also i got the internet with the laptop a few days ago but now it wont do anything.. i can get IE and Firefox to work in Safe Mode with Networking.

8. zack0030

zack0030 Thread Starter

i dont need anything on the computer, i wondering if i can just erase EVERYTHING. If u think that would work can u just tell me how to do it?

9. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Sure you can. Do you have the windows installation cd and drivers?

10. zack0030

zack0030 Thread Starter

nooo.... all i have is an anti-virus that i can put on there...

11. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

When you say erase everything...you didn't mean re-installing a fresh copy of windows because that would require a vista disk. You can however uninstall un-needed programs/delete documents, pictures etc and we can get your internet working again...Then you can modify the system however you please just don't uninstall anything you're not sure of.

12. Rynet

Rynet

Sounds like it can be a corrupt essential system driver/function or it could be a virus/male-ware. Have you tried to launch them from safe-mode with networking? and without?

13. zack0030

zack0030 Thread Starter

ok i guess i mean i just want to get rid of everything i dont need like pics and music etc.

14. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

He hasn't tried without networking in safemode yet. Zack- ofcourse you can delete un-wanted data (which will free up space only) But right now we need to focus on fixing your network connection. When you open IE is it just a blank white screen or does it have an error message?

15. zack0030

zack0030 Thread Starter

if im in regular mode it doesnt open, like i can double click the icon on my desktop(or go through my files and do it)either way it has the little blue spinning circle then it goes away and IE or Firefox never opens. but in safe mode i can surf the net fine on both

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029136

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice