Help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AGENT_P6

Im going to update this to give more info. First I'll start by saying I'm running windows 7 64 bit, and I'm using up my free trial of Norton right now. (Mentioning this in case Norton or some security measure such as a firewall or something unique to windows 7 would be the cause of my problem.

So the problem I'm having is with uploading pictures from my hard drive to my first website in html via an ftp client, filezilla. My domain is with godaddy and my hosting is with bluehost. filezilla is partnered i suppose with bluehost as filezilla is the main ftp in their cpanel. I have already gone through the process of pointing the nameservers over to bluehost successfully. I've installed phpbb via simplescripts to www.group935clan.com/forums (the forum for my website of course), and thats as far as my website development has gone due to this problem, which I'll explain after a bit more clarifying preamble. group935clan is going to be a gaming/gamers forum, mostly specific to a certain game, "zombies" in Call of Duty: Black Ops" So what I plan is to take some screenshots and/or download rights free images of things involved in this game, customize them in GIMP (freeware photo editor, akin to photoshop) and decorate my homepage. It will be fairly simple in design....I just want a homepage for a bit of site/clan news, general gaming news, and tabbed links to forums, support, FAQ, join, etc etc....y'know the usual stuff.

I know very little about html and css, java etc. which I acknowledge puts me at a large disadvantage with the complicating process of interacting with my website, but from the day I purchased my domain I knew I would likely end up with a visually sub-par website and made a decision to accept that and use this all as a learning process. However I do know enough to code so that an image will be displayed on my homepage...but this is exactly where something is going wrong. I've been trying to simply put one small image on my homepage just as a test run to see how it looks and make sure the ftp client settings are correct. I got help from bluehost tech support for this and it worked. The guy said that I need to write my HTML in notepad or a word processor (I chose notepad), and name it index.html, then drag and drop that into the ftp file public_html once I've connected with the server. I have all the connection settings correct with the ftp client so I know thats not the issue. So the first time he walked me through this, it worked just fine and the picture displayed properly when I typed group935clan into my browser. However the next day I deleted the index.html file from my ftp files as well as from my notepad, and made a new one with a different picture following all the steps I had followed the night before. When I uploaded this file into my public_html folder and viewed it on my website, the link - or picture I should say - is broken. I tried it with many different pictures on my computer, all of which are .jpg, and none of them worked

Just so you can see if I have the html correct im typing in:

img src="disturbed.jpg" alt="" width="100" height="100/" I took the < tags off just in case html is ON in this forum

disturbed is definitely the name of the picture, it is definitely a jpeg, and the dimensions were assigned arbitrarily however the actual dimensions of the picture are fairly close; its an avatar

Here is a link to my website if you want to right-click and "inspect element" http://www.group935clan.com/

There is also something funny happening in the folder on my computer where i keep the index.html file. Refer to this screenshot:
[HIDE]
[/HIDE]....meh, I tried to give it a spoiler :p

Notice the warning at the top. This is something you usually see when you have an attachment in your emails...but this is my own personally created html file from my own image stored on my own hard drive located on my own folder on my own desktop :p I think that this just may have something to do with the problem.

If I can work my way around this or resolve the problem altogether, I plan on seriously really enjoying the process of making a huge handmade html file and make a completely custom homepage, and then tinkering with it probably like 50 times until I feel I've got it right. (And honestly I will really actually enjoy it because it will all be a brand new experience for me, and this being my first website, I have tons of playing with it to do before the novelty wears off...at which point I will tackle more cutting edge web design stuff :p

Sorry this is long, but the first post I made was really weak and nobody would really be able to help much with the little detail I included. I originally wrote a detailed one like this...then I hit "post" and lost EVERYTHING due to a session time out and then was too pissed to write it all again. Thanks for your help fellas'

Ent

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Josiah
You can't have a page online refer to pictures that are on your hard disk. You'd need to upload the pictures onto the server as well.

AGENT_P6

I have a domain, hosting, an the nameservers are pointed to my hosting company....so everything is set up...the pic is of the index.html file that I upload to public_html in my FileZilla. After uploading I check on my homepage and I get broken images. I'm trying to figure out why, and I think the notification in the pic has something to do with it as Im SURE the HTML is correct

Ent

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Josiah
Can you post a link to your site here?

AGENT_P6

Updated my original post guys....this one is quite a bit more detailed, and sorry for the lack of detail in the first version

Ent

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Josiah
Have you uploaded disturbed.jpg to your web server?

2 quick things. 1) Not sure about the / in your height attribute, that could complicate matters. Maybe it's a trick I don't know, but I've never used it. 2) What is the exact location of the .jpg?

EDIT: Never mind about the slash, tested and it didn't care. It's got to be a location or security issue.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online