1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jakedog7, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jakedog7

Jakedog7 Thread Starter

So while working on my computer yesterday, I shut it off to take a break for a while, and when it turned it back on the fan and the lights all went on and the sounds it makes when it starts up where happening, but the moniter wouldn't display anything but a black screen, any help I can get please?

2. Lucky09

Lucky09

Hi,
    Is it totally black starting from you turn the PC on?
    Starting from the basic, is the monitor light on? check the monitor power cable. if the monitor is on, check both ends of the video cable. Cables might have been accidentally moved and got lose.

3. Jakedog7

Jakedog7 Thread Starter

I've checked it all, no loose cords or anything, the lights are on as well

4. Lucky09

Lucky09

can you still see your PC brand logo when it starts? can you remember the last thing you did? install, update or anything? if you can still go to safe mode, reinstall the video driver and make sure dual display us disabled.

5. Jakedog7

Jakedog7 Thread Starter

Well I had just Switched out hard drives and installed windows vista the day before, and right before I had just installed a network adaptor off of toshiba direct.com, and no not even the logo shows up, it's just straight black all the time

6. Lucky09

Lucky09

If you can't access anything like safe mode or BIOS, it's more likely a hardware issue. there should be only one video cable connecting your monitor and PC. Well, that's just common problem for newly setup PC.

If you are using added video card. Reseat it. If still not working, try using the onboard video for testing purpose.

if you are using onboard video card, open the case and reseat your RAM cards. you can also test video but testing one RAM card at a time.

7. Jakedog7

Jakedog7 Thread Starter

It is a laptop, toshiba satellite model L305D-S5881

8. Lucky09

Lucky09

My bad. That's still the same except for the video card. you can still do it with the RAMs. One reason of black screen is also due to recent hardware change that's not fully compatible with each HWs. The best way to isolate it is to go back where it started from.

9. Jakedog7

Jakedog7 Thread Starter

So how would I go about going back to where it started from?

10. Lucky09

Lucky09

I mean where it started from about HW since there is nothing we can do on software now on this black screen. It could be this new HDD that you installed. if you have no problem with the original HDD, you may want to put it back just for testing purpose. If it isolated the black screen then there is a question mark on your other HDD.

11. Jakedog7

Jakedog7 Thread Starter

My old hd is broken, however it worked for 2 days with the new one so why would it shut down all of the sudden?

12. Lucky09

Lucky09

everything is possible. even a brand new laptop happens not to turn on out of the box. here's an alternative test, booting up with no HDD should give you "disk boot failure". if it does then you have display without HDD. but i suggest try reseating the RAM first. HDD is just one of the clue since that was the last change.

13. Jakedog7

Jakedog7 Thread Starter

ok, how would i reset my RAM? and ill try booting up w/out the HDD after, Thank you for the help by the way, its very much appreciated

14. Lucky09

Lucky09

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1091026

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice