1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by oomontzoo, Feb 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oomontzoo

oomontzoo Thread Starter

My computer will not let me fdisk, it keeps saying it cannot locate a cd rom or fixed disk. Why could this be? I have to get past this in order to re-install windows into my computer.

2. dogbonz

dogbonz

Hi ozmontzoo,

What OS are you putting on the machine ?

Can you boot from the floppy ? If so, then
    format the Hard Drive and then use fdisk.

If it's an older machine, wherein the BIOS does
    not support the CD-ROM, then after you fdisk, you'll
    need to install a generic CD-ROM driver. This happens
    fine with a Win98 boot disk, as it will put a generic
    driver on it so you can install Win98.

If you're installing Win95... You need the proper
    CD-ROM driver installed to continue.

3. Kento

Kento

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Does the hard drive appear in the bios setup?

What's the history on the computer? Did the hard drive ever have an operating system? Is it the only hard drive in the computer?

5. oomontzoo

oomontzoo Thread Starter

yes, the harddrive had windows98 SE on it. Either dude to an illegal shutdown or a virus, windows files were lost and i could not boot up into windows. I have formatted my harddrive and set up my partitions. Now my only obstacle would be this, it tells me that it cannot locate my cd-rom. I dont have a windows 98 cd so i am using a win95 cd to get my computer up and running. I have the 98 upgrade. It cannot locate my cd-rom in order to install the driver. What could the problem be?

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Ok......stop right there....you do not need to go the 95 install to use the 98 upgrade (as long as it isn't the 'shortened upgrade')......go here and download a 98 boot disk......DON'T SAVE IT TO FLOPPY......save it to your desktop, double click on the file and follow instructions to create a boot disk.....once you have that, boot the sick computer, choose w/cdrom support......the cdrom drive should show happy signs of loading......if not, post back.....if so, then it will move one letter ahead from where you know it......put the Windows 98 upgrade cd in the drive........change to that directory by typing, example, E: and hit enter......does the drive letter change? If so, type setup and hit enter......you'll be prompted for the 95 cd at some point.

http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice