Help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SarahSayers

Hi Guys,
I have just found a Compaq presario V4000 running on windows XP. When I try and start it I get an error message saying media test failure, check cable for realtek. I don't have a windows disc. The error code is PXE-E61 and PXE-M0F

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
What's the exact serial number(S/N) and product number(P/N) on that Compaq Presario V4000 series laptop?
Once it's identified with the correct model number, we may be able to help you better.

It sounds like its hard drive has failed.
Have you checked inside the hard drive bay to make sure it didn't get dislodged?

Depending on which country you live in, getting a recovery media disc kit shouldn't be difficult.
The question right now is if it's worth fixing and spending money on.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

SarahSayers

Hi There,
The s/n is 2CE5380T83 and the p/n is EH099PA#ABG I'm in Australia and its been a long time between computer's :rolleyes:

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The s/n is 2CE5380T83 and the p/n is EH099PA#ABG I'm in Australia
The V4000 series laptops are over 10 years old, so the HP/Compaq customer service site now have them listed as "Retired Products".

Which one of these model numbers do you have?

Clipboard.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
From what I can determine, the Compaq Presario V4000 Notebook PC originally came with Windows XP Home Edition 32-bit or Windows XP Professional 32-bit.
The Certificate-Of-Authenticity sticker on yours will confirm which version it came with.

There is a company that sells a Windows XP recovery media disc kit for the V4000, but I believe it only ships to the U.S.A. and Canada.
That model laptop is over 12 years old, so it's not worth investing $29.00 plus shipping for the disc kit, and there's no guarantee that it'll work.

And if it needs a replacement hard drive like I suspect it does, it'll cost a lot more than what that old laptop is worth.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online