1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by KurtVagner, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KurtVagner

KurtVagner Thread Starter

Well for the past week or so i have realised my comp is gettin slower.I think it may b becaos of 1 of these files.Tell me what u think n how i can get rid of them.

1/ Win32us.exe
    2/ NvCplDaemon
    3/RunDLL32.exe

Thank you

2. beekeeper

beekeeper

win32us.exe is a dialler to adult sites (prob costing you a fair bit on your phone bill too)

The other two are also unneccesary. To stop them from working:

start >> run >> type msconfig >> ok >> startup tab

uncheck the boxes besides their name and reboot

3. Bruce319

Bruce319

1/ Win32us.exe is a All-In-One-Telcom (adult content dialler) variant. It's safe to delete.

2/ NvCplDaemon: Intializes the clock and memory settings on nVidia based graphics cards.

3/RunDLL32.exe is a valid Windows application

So out of the three files you shown here. The only one you can delete safely is Win32us.exe.

4. beekeeper

beekeeper

The valid RUNDLL32.EXE is in the windows/font directory and should not appear in the startup menu - there are several other RUNDLL32.EXE's that are not neccesary and this appears to be one of them. This is what pacs-portal has to say about this particular entry:

RUNDLL32.EXE NvQtwk,NvCplDaemon
    NvCplDaemon This loads the System Tray icon used to change display settings, change the clock rate and memory speed for nVidia based graphics cards. This is unnecessary since you can easily configure these settings the way you want them in the Display Properties and not have to mess with them again

5. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Actually, Rundll32.exe is a valid Windows application called "Run a DLL as an App" and stored in the C:\Windows directory. This program is used in conjuction with others as a call to start them.

You will often see the line rundll32.exe C:\some folder\some file name.

This is a necessary part of windows.

Bottom line: DO NOT DELETE!!

6. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

BeeKeeper, I would suggest doing a Find on rundll32.exe and find out how many you actually have. Some are INVALID and planted as a result of a virus!!

The valid path should be \windows\rundll32.exe Or Winnt\rundll32.exe for NT/W2K/XP systems

As you find each one, right click and look at properties and the version tab to check version info, size, and company name.

If the company name isn't Microsoft and the other things don't check out, deep six the file!!

7. beekeeper

beekeeper

lol - it's alright mate - I don't have a prob with RUNDLL32.EXE - it's the chap at the top :)

8. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

(y)

That's the problem, it's a legit file, BUT it can be used to pull up a lot of crap.

9. KurtVagner

Well. win32us keeps installing istelf :(.....i used add/remove progs if thats any use.Also what is run=?

10. KurtVagner

Jus a wee nte : Win32us is not checked in my startup tho it does keep appearing time n time again :( And its infecting me with many a virus including trojan ( which the trojan remover cant find) and a few others
    Well post viruses when nortan finishes its scan

11. KurtVagner

Is this the Rundll thing? how do i check to see if its causing a problem and what do i look out for . Thank you :)

12. beekeeper

beekeeper

@Kurt -when you posted your original question, you listed 3 seperate files - the win32.us.exe is clear enough - but did you mean to list the rundll32.exe & nvcplDaemon as 1 entry rather than 2? As Nite Hawk says,it can be a legit file but when followed by another reference can be an unneccesary file or even part of a virus. As mentioned before, if it appears in your startup list, it is at best, not necessary. So uncheck for now if it's there - but do not totally remove from your system until you are sure. The one to concentrate on is the win32us.exe - this alone may be causing your problems. Try to remove it from your registry by doing the following - as with all registry work DOUBLE CHECK that you are removing the correct file as mistakes there are sometimes unrepairable. The following is instructions issued by someone here (sorry, can't remember who) on how to remove items from your registry:

REGISTRY WORK
    -----------------------
    Go to Start\Run and type in regedit
    You see in the left pane Major Registry Keys that have a plus sign in front of them. The plus sign is how you will navigate downward in the registry.
    Step 1- Navigate downward by clicking the plus signs too
    + HKEY_LOCAL_ MACHINE
    + Software
    + Microsoft
    + Windows
    + Current Version
    RUN folder or RUN- folder

Note: You will notice folders called RUN and RUN-
    The Run folder contains Items you see in the MSCONFIG startup tab that have their boxes checked and the Run- folder contains items you have unchecked from startup.
    The combination of the two is the Startup display.

Step 2- If you have previously unchecked the box in MSCONFIG then lets go to the RUN- folder and click on it. If not then go to the RUN folder.
    Step 3- In the right pane you will see a list of items you have deselected.
    Step 4- Locate the items you wish to disappear out of the MSCONFIG Startup list and right click on item in the right pane. MAKE SURE IT IS THE CORRECT ONE and click Delete.
    Step 5- Do same for all entries you want deleted.
    Note: Once they are gone they are gone!

Step 6- All is complete now close the registry by clicking the minus sign to top then Click the registry tab up top and click Exit.

Thats it all should be as you want it.

I will add to that: sometimes, remnants of programmes remain behind for some reason - to double check if this has happened, use the find tool in regedit by:

Start >> run >> type regedit >> edit >> find >> type win32us.exe >> find next

Wait a few minutes why it does its job and you'll see if any traces of the file remain - if they do, once again DOUBLE CHECK they are the correct file, and right click and delete.

Good luck

13. KurtVagner

Would it help if i included a ss of my startup? cos to be perfectly honest

14. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Go to http://tomcoyote.org/hjt/ and download HiJackThis. Use Winzip to ]u]unzip[/u] it, then install and run it. To run, click the “Scan” button. When it's done the "Scan" button changes to "Save Log". Save the log file it creates (it should open in Notepad at that point). Copy and paste the results in your next post. IF you happen to be using a proxy server, please mention it in your post. Most of what it finds is harmless, so do not do anything yet. Someone will be glad to help you sort out any of the baddies that may be in there.

15. KurtVagner

Hm a required .DLL file , MSVBVM60.DLL,was not found- was the message i got when tryin to run hijack this :(

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163578

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice