Help!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

LadyG

Here is my problem/s, I reformatted my HD, and now I can only use 16 bits of colour, and have no sound....I downloadded all the drivers I needed and it says that everything is working properly...I have no discs my computer came preinstalled...I do have the CD for the monitor but it says there are no files on it for installation, but it is the installation disk...I have an IBM 2257-72u, 985MHZ, 128ram...was winxp, changed it to win98, xp had too many problems for me..anyway, am at a lose here, don't know what to do, any help would be greatly appreciated...will check back later....

dai

your monitor drivers are part of windows
what type of s/c and video card
it sounds like the drivers are not installed or configured properly

LadyG

I don't even have a sound card installed but I have one...and don't know how to find it? I'm not sure where to find out this info? as well as the video card...when I try to install new hardware, it doesn't have mine under the IBM hardware...I don't know what to do...

Styxx

Banned
You're right, you will need the correct drivers for your Audio and video. It sounds as if neither of those are loaded yet - that's why you have no Audio and only 16 colors. You must ensure you have the correct drivers for your system first.

Often, all you need do is double click the driver icon to start the install. Sometimes you have to do a step or two more than that to install drivers. Do one at a time until the installation of one is complete, usually ends with you being requested by Windows to restart your computer. The installation ends with the restart.

If you need help installing those drivers beyond just double-clicking the icon reply back to this and I can help.

dai

go into the bios and enable pnp (plug and play)
then when you boot up windows will find them and install,then install your drivers.
if sound and video are onboard you will need the m/b setup cd and run setup and it will install them

LadyG

OK, all I have for my display adapter is Standard PCI Graphics adapter, I can't get it to go to anything else, it just keeps finding that adapter...I can't change my display from 640 by 480 to anything else, it just won't move...I don't know what drivers I need, nor how to find out....my sound card is I'm not sure, the only thing I can find is intel 82801BA(M), under windows audio I have nothing...I NEED HELP!!!! This is driving me nuts, I've tried everything I know, which isn't much...Thanks all who have replied...it's greatly appreciated...

Styxx

Banned
Well, you're only a short step away from getting your video back to where it was.

the only thing I can find is intel 82801BA(M), under windows audio
. Where did you see this above information?

What brand of computer and model number is this, if it's a Compaq, HP or whatever? Finding drivers is not hard. Give me some more information please.

LadyG

Thanks...ok, my computer is an intel celeron II, model # 2257-72u, I found something else too, don't know if it's any use to you, but the PCI/AGP video is Intel i752

LadyG

yes, it is a netvista 2257-72u....I think that might actually be it...I'll try it out and see if it helps...thanks so much, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.... :)

Since you went from winXP to win98 the drivers may be different, check the monitor CD for a folder named win98 or win9x, and have the hardware wizard look in that folder (use the browse option). this wont help with the sound card but it worked for me on my computer when i set it up to multi-boot (originally win2kpro, became 98/2kAdvSrvr/2kpro

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online