1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by wise1, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wise1

wise1 Thread Starter

I am trying to install Win 98 SE. I have formated the drive and I have now discovered that the CD rom does not work?!? Its says invalid drive on all letters that I try (D:\setup .....). I tried choosing the CD drive for it to boot from but the cd drive is not listed. Please help me with this issue.

Kirk

2. brindle

brindle

Did you use a 98 boot disk when booting and choose with cd rom support

3. wise1

wise1 Thread Starter

No I did not.

How should I do this?

Kirk

4. brindle

brindle

Here is the complete process for a clean install of 98. You need the full version not the update. 98se is an upgrade and you didn't need to format. Now that you did read on.

Go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and download the Windows 98 OEM bootdisk. Save the file and remember the location it was saved to.

Insert a clean floppy diskette in your floppy drive and then double click on the bootdisk you just downloaded. This will CREATE a Bootdisk on the floppy. DO NOT just copy the file to a floppy. This is a common misunderstanding and will not let you boot from it.

Power down the PC you want to format.
    Insert the Bootdisk and power up.
    You should boot into DOS
    You will be asked if you want to boot with or without CD ROM support. The first time choose without.
    You should now be at an A:\> prompt. Type in the following:

format C: /s Confirm if it asks you.
    Depending on the size of the Hard Drive, formatting could take some time. At the end of the format it will transfer the 'system files' from the floppy to the newly formatted HD. (That was what the /s switch did...copy the system files)

To test, remove the floppy, power down and then power back up.
    You should boot up to a DOS C:\> prompt.

Once again power down, insert the bootdisk in the drive and power back up.
    This time when it asks with or without CD ROM support, choose WITH.

Insert your Windows 98 SE Install CD in the CD ROM and it should autostart and take you into the installation program.

5. wise1

wise1 Thread Starter

Thank you very much! This has solved my problem.

Kirk

6. brindle

brindle

Welcome, glad you posted back to let us know the problem has been solved and how.
    I personally want to thank you for refreshing often so we could have an ongoing diolog.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172945

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice