1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hughwyeth, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hughwyeth

hughwyeth Thread Starter

ok, i have:
    two pcs, (one windows 2000 pro, one xp pro sp1), a usb broadband modem, a usb to ethernet adapter, a linksys broadband router, two ethernet patch cables.
    I want to share the broadband connection, and have tried:
    Connecting both pcs to the router with the patch cables, which created a lan, which i could play games over, however, i could not get the internet connection to be shared, as the modem did not seem to have power, probably because i connected it through the usb to ethernet adapter. I then tried to connect the two computers directly with one of the patch cables, through each pcs ethernet port, and then plugged in the usb modem to the win 2000 pc. that pc has internet, but the win xp one does not.
    PLEASE HELP- from scratch, how should i share my broadband? Thanks for your time.

2. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Well, you want to use the two patch cables to connect to the router as you did initially.

Then the PC with the USB broadband modem needs to turn on "internet sharing". Then both machines should be able to browse the internet.

The right thing to do, rather than continue down this path, is to use a broadband modem that you connect to via an Ethernet cable. Then you'd connect the WAN port of your router to the broadband modem, and then you wouldn't need to turn "internet sharing" on, and you could use the functionality of the router as it is supposed to be used.

-Scott

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you have a broadband router, why not just use it to share the Internet connection. The modem and router should be capable of this if they are configured correctly.

Then you don't always need to have one computer on for the other to access the Internet and the router serves as a reasonable firewall as well.

So how were the cable modem, router and computers all connected and configured.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273913

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice