1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by brabra70, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brabra70

brabra70 Thread Starter

OK i have win95 plus on puter and my some things were not working so my friend ran setup again but the cd did not have all the files and they were older than the ones on the computer.. i told him not to but he did now it wont boot at all it tells me a list of files that are damaged and or corrupted and then it tells me to run set up again but i cant because the only cd i have is the one that is messed up.... can i restore it from a command prompt... please tell me yes
    thankyou
    barbara

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I take it you have also tried starting in Safe Mode and it fails there too?

Your options are not very good. You can try running setup again from the CD and see if that corrects some of the file corruption issues.

If windows backed up specific files before restoring the "older" ones, you might find them on the drive by running a search from the c:\ prompt.

The form would be something like this:

dir /s filename

... where filename is the name of the problematic file.

Files found in windows or windows\system will be the ones currently running. But others of the same name may be the backup. The folder it is located in may be the clue.

Then to restore the file you should follow this procedure.

First rename the current loading file; for example a file in c:\windows would be renamed thusly:

ren c:\windows\filename.dll filename.bak

Then to copy the backup:

copy c:\filepath\filename c:\windows

where "filepath" is the path to the backup and "filename" is the name of the backup.

If none of this seems feasible, you have two further alternatives -- a clean install, requiring a format first (wipes the disk completely), or installing into a separate folder -- which requires adequate disk space on the drive. The separate folder install will alow you access to old data and personal files, but all updates and programs will need to be reinstalled.

When you run setup off the CD, you should see a window which tells you what folder the setup is going to be installed into. This is normally "Windows", but you have the option of changing that to another name, such as Windows.000. Again you would need adequate disk space to to this, at least 400 mb I would think.

3. brabra70

brabra70 Thread Starter

ok but thats how the problem started it was fine until that windows setup cd was put in and setup was ran again and then it gave me all those errors so wouldnt that same cd just do the same thing again??
    thankyou for your quick response
    barbara

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It's hard to say, normally a stable setup will not result in file corruption, that might have already been present with respect to files not replaced. If you haven't tried a safe mode start, you should -- since this will load only Windows files and will not try to load files from subsequently installed programs which may be corrupt and which were not restored.

(To attempt to start in Safe Mode, tap the f8 key promptly a few times on startup to get the "startup menu")

But if they were corrupt windows files, it should replace them with good ones.

However, it will not correct, at this point, the problem with version mismatches.

I'm just saying it can't hurt to try considering you don't have good alternatives.

If the reboot fails on specific "windows" files, let me know what they are, we might be able to find later versions on the web to download and replace them with. You might even be able to use some from a Win98 system.

5. brabra70

brabra70 Thread Starter

ok the files are C:\windows\system\Vmm32\vwin32.VXD
    \vcond.VXD \vcond.vxd
    \vxdldr.VXD
    \vpicd.VXD
    \VTD.VXD
    \Vxdldr.VXD
    \Vwin32.vxd

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

7. brabra70

brabra70 Thread Starter

all except for ntkernl.vxd and vmpcd.vxd
    thankyou
    barbara

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274233

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice