Help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bmg

Okay, so I've just put in a new hard drive. Plugged everything in and mounted it to the case with the screws provided. I turn the computer on, expecting to be able to insert the format disk and my disk drive can't open. I get the message DISK BOOT FALIURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER. I can't insert the disk, because my disk drive won't open. Please help me.

There should be a small hole in the front of the tray. Push a pin (or something similar) through it to manually open the tray. Don't press it in too hard though...

bmg

I know about that, my disk drive isn't working because it isn't installed. I can open it up with a pin, and put the disk in but it wont do anything.

bmg said:
Okay, so I've just put in a new hard drive. Plugged everything in and mounted it to the case with the screws provided. I turn the computer on, expecting to be able to insert the format disk and my disk drive can't open. I get the message DISK BOOT FALIURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER. I can't insert the disk, because my disk drive won't open. Please help me.
what disk are you talking about, the XP cd or 1.44 floppy or what? I think what your seeing is that your pc is trying to boot from your new hdd and its not bootable yet, you may want to check the power connection to your CD rom drive if it wont open you may have unplugged it while you were installing your hdd.

bmg said:
I know about that, my disk drive isn't working because it isn't installed. I can open it up with a pin, and put the disk in but it wont do anything.
I thought you couldnt get it to open if it opens and wont boot the you have to make sure your bios boot order is set to CD-rom before HDD

bmg said:
No light comes on
like i said your drive is most likely not plugged into the power, if it was working before you installed hdd then you either loosened the power plug to CD drive or pulled it out completely.

bmg

The cd drive is plugged in fully, both the power and the pin cable. I haven't installed my hdd, thats what I am trying to do. Any suggestions?

bmg said:
The cd drive is plugged in fully, both the power and the pin cable. I haven't installed my hdd, thats what I am trying to do. Any suggestions?
you are really confusing me, in your 1st post you said you just installed your hdd :confused: :confused:

Now you say your CD doesnt work, well if its plugged in then its dead get a new one

bmg

Sorry for the confusion. Here is the situation. My hard drive recently failed so I bought a new one. I have plugged in the new one and mounted it to the case. I am unable to use the manufacturer's provided CD-ROM to format my new hard drive. This is due to the fact that it is a CD, not a floppy disk, and for some reason, my CD drive will not work. It was working before.

try to find a different cd rom drive and replace it, just to see if the problem is with the cd rom drive or not. also make shure that the power u conected to the drive is a working plug.

bmg said:
Sorry for the confusion. Here is the situation. My hard drive recently failed so I bought a new one. I have plugged in the new one and mounted it to the case. I am unable to use the manufacturer's provided CD-ROM to format my new hard drive. This is due to the fact that it is a CD, not a floppy disk, and for some reason, my CD drive will not work. It was working before.
if you have it connected right, and it doesnt work, then.......its broke, get a new one.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online