1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pez_queen, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pez_queen

pez_queen Thread Starter

I have just recieved a new LaCie 250G external hard drive that is supposed to be plug and play. When I plug the drive in using 2.0 USB it makes all the right noises.. but my mac dosent recognise it

Im using it with a mini mac on OS X 10.4.7

2. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Dang, and all this time I was thinking Mac's did everything.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
  4. win2kpro

win2kpro

You might try a seach for any LaCie archives here on TSG. In the past few months I have seen a number of threads where people had some problems with that particular brand being recognized by their machine.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Have you partitioned and formatted it? If it was formatted NTFS, the MAC won't recognize the partition.

6. pez_queen

pez_queen Thread Starter

it hasnt been formatted at all - its literally out of the box and plugged in.

7. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

All of the Lacies i've owned / encountered were preformatted with NTFS. :cool:

8. pez_queen

pez_queen Thread Starter

it says its mac compatible.. I wondered if it was something to do with it being a mini mac - i think the set up is slightly different with the intel jobby

9. norton850

norton850

I have a Lacie that came formatted with FAT32. But at any rate on a PC shouldn't it at least be recognized in Disk Management or Device Manager even if it's unformatted or formatted with a file system the OS can't read? Don't know how Macs do things.

10. pez_queen

pez_queen Thread Starter

It gets wierder!

on advice from LaCie I repaired the disc permissions and shut down the computer. I turned the external drive on, plugged it in and tried to start the Mac. It wouldnt start - the external drive prevents the mac from starting!
    When attempting to do so with the drive plugged in.. it makes the 'bonnng' noise that macs do when they start up.. then nothing! just a grey screen.
    the light on the drive goes orange/yellow and flashes like that as if it's busy.. but nothing happens.

This is a replacement drive, supposedly new, that I recieved for a broken drive I returned for repair. the company (Pixmania) that I returned it to took FOUR MONTHS to send me this replacement. Understandably I am reluctant to return it to them again at extra cost to my self if the same thing is going to happen again.
    Any advice?

11. pez_queen

pez_queen Thread Starter

just checked - the drive is appearing on the system profiler :confused:

12. JohnWill

Have you tried connecting it to a PC? You can then check to see what filesystem it's formatted with. I suspect that it might have been really "new", and is probably formatted incorrectly for the Mac.

13. pez_queen

pez_queen Thread Starter

Yep.. tried it with my friends PC running XP
    It makes the bing-bong noise and realises there's a USB device attached.. but the drive never appears on my computer. :mad:

14. JohnWill

Did you look in Disk Management on the XP machine to see if it's there? That's the place to see what the status is.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484476

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice