1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by resinfy, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. resinfy

resinfy Thread Starter

Ok so im trying to network my xbox and windows together. With windows sharing my internet connection with the xbox. Now heres the problem. Windows setup my connections all wrong. My internet connection in "Network Connections" is named "Local Area Connection." So when I try to share my internet connection, there is no option to do so. My internet connection should be named "1394 Connection", not "Local Area Connection".

So I tried to switch my cables around, so the Local Area Connection would be my 1394 Connection and vise versa. But then I get "cable unplugged." I dont know what else to do! How could windows setup something like this? I am using Windows XP Pro.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To what are you connecting firewire (IEEE 1394)? And what did you mean by switching cables around? You can't switch an ethernet cable with a firewire one.

Please describe your entire network--ISP, modem, router?, PCs, etc.

3. resinfy

resinfy Thread Starter

Sorry I should have said im using 2 cat5 cables and using 2 nics. My xbox is connected to my computer and my computer is hooked up to my modem. I know how to network them, I just cant get internet connection sharing to work since my network connections shows that my internet connection is connected to my local area connection when it should be connected to my internet connection. If I goto properties > advanced in the local area connection it doesnt have an option to enable internet connection sharing. But if I goto properties > advanced on my internet connection it has an option, but that somehow is connected to my xbox.

I need to know some way to switch them so my xbox is setup on my local area connection and my modem is setup to my internet connection. I just installed Windows and it was setup like this.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    my network connections shows that my internet connection is connected to my local area connection when it should be connected to my internet connection.

Isnt that the same thing? :)

when you are sharing the internet connection, it should be on the NIC that has the internet (modem) connected and in the drop down you have to choose the other NIC to share.

Am I right that this is the setup you have now?

5. resinfy

resinfy Thread Starter

No because my xbox is connected to my internet connection when it should be my computer connected to my internet connection

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    You are not making sense. What do you mean that your computer should be connected?

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    What is your TCP/IP configuration?

Do a IPCONFIG /ALL > C:\IPCONFIG.TXT in command line and then go to C:\ and open up IPCONFIG.TXT and copy and paste the results.

8. resinfy

resinfy Thread Starter

Go into network connections, you will see a local area connection and an internet connection if you have 2 nics. My network connection is named "1394 Connection" and my loca area connection is named "Local Area Connection". My internet should be setup on my 1394 Connection but instead its setup on my Local Area Connection. And my Local Area Connection cant use Internet Connection Sharing.

ipconfig /all:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : defiled
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : gateway.2wire.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : gateway.2wire.net
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-06-4F-36-5B-35
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.1.34
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.0.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.0.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, July 24, 2006 4:42:03 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, July 24, 2006 5:42:03 AM

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    according to that post you have only one NIC. I think I know what you are saying. That connection seems to appear but in reality it's not a NIC connection from what I remember. I had another connection in Network Connections that was used by my cable company. Why I don't know.

If you do have two PHYSICAL NICs, then check Device Manager to see if any of your NICs is disabled or have a yellow exclamation mark.

If your machines are nearby, then I would recommend getting a router. It's much more simpler to set up and maintain.

10. resinfy

resinfy Thread Starter

Your not understanding. Everything is setup fine, I can connect to the internet, do whatever. I can FTP to my xbox. But I cant enable Internet Connection Sharing because Local Area Connections cant share. I want my modem hooked up to my 1394 Connection, that way I can have the option to enable Internet Connection Sharing.

The way it is setup now is my modem is connected to my Local Area Connection, which is wrong since I cant enable Internet Connection Sharing. If my modem was setup to my 1394 Connection then I could enable it. How do I switch them?

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I have just reliased something. Your IP address is a private IP address, which basically means you are getting your IP from someone else and not your ISP. Are you using a router?

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I can't edit my post:

means you are getting your IP from something else and not your ISP.

Also what is your modem model number?

13. resinfy

resinfy Thread Starter

My IP isnt the problem. I guess I will just switch the cables around and resinstall XP. Ive never had this problem before, I dont know why my modem would be setup on my LAN connection. Pretty weird stuff, thanks for trying to help though. I even tried installing over TCP/IP on my LAN connection and my 1394 Connection. And even when I set my LAN IP address to my LAN connection and enable "Obtain an IP address automatically" on my 1394 Connection, I cant surf the web or anything. And when I try to repair my 1394 Connection it says that it cant query TCP/IP. I dont know what else to do.

Internet works fine on my LAN connection but of course I cant enable Internet Connection Sharing which is the whole point of all of this.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    As Tidus4Yuna has pointed out, your ipconfig /all shows exactly one NIC, and it is connected, apparently, to a router because it has a private IP address. Did you only show us part of the ipconfig /all, cutting off the part with the 2nd NIC?

And you still haven't explained to what you have the firewire connected. Or did you rename a connection to 1394?

15. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Please read this carefully and answer the questions :) I'm not trying to be bad, I want to reslove this with you without resorting to reformatting your machine.

From what I remember the 1394 connection is not proper connection. It's some sort of virtual connection used by your ISP.

Again, if you have two physical cards and your IPCONFIG was what you have provided me was the entire IPCONFIG, then one of your NICs is not enabled or has a problem.

Question: Did you check the Device Manger for any conflicts?

I saw that you mentioned that you just installed Windows. If you do have two physical cards, then it could be that one of your cards was not installed by Windows because Windows did not have the driver. If this was the case then Device Manager will confirm this.

Note this:

"So I tried to switch my cables around, so the Local Area Connection would be my 1394 Connection and vise versa. But then I get "cable unplugged.""

I'm assuming that you got this message when you swapped your cable from your Internet to your XBOX? That would happen if your computer cannot 'hear' any 'traffic'. It would also appear if you are using the wrong cable, which could be the case because I think you need a crossover cable to connect your XBOX to your PC and you are using a straight through.

Finally, your IP address that showed up. Every computer needs an unique IP address to connect to the internet, unfortunately there is not enough to go around for everyone. IANA (which is the company that controls/assigns IP addresses) has made a block of IP addresses that can be used for private internal networks (LANs). Those blocks are 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255, 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255, and 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255. These numbers can be used within a Local Area Network (LAN) but not on the internet. Your IP address of 172.16.1.34 lies within that range. Also your IPCONFIG shows that you have DHCP enabled. This means you got your IP address from a Dynamic Host Control Protocol (DHCP) server or a device that has a DHCP service. Because you got the 172.16.x.x IP address, it means that you are on a private network.

Question: Are you in a dorm or at home? If the latter, I'm going to guess that your modem is also a router. Please can you provide your modem model and/or model number.

If you are in a dorm, and you have two physical NIC cards in your machine, then refer to my first question. If you do not have two physical cards, then the most easiest way you can resolved this is to buy a router. Some routers can be found for $10-$20 depending on brand and rebates.

Last thing about your IP address, usually the IP address on a private network is 10.x.x.x or 192.168.0.x. The 172.16.x.x strikes me as a little odd because even with home routers, they are usually 192.168.0.x and the 10.x.x.x and 172.16.x.x are used by larger businesses or schools (dorms)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486006

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice