1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by espressoguy, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. espressoguy

espressoguy Thread Starter

I currently have a computer with 2 512 sticks of ddr ram. There are four slots so I bought two more sticks of ddr ram-each 512. When I booted the computer it loads windows then reboots. I tried with just the two old syicks-booted no problem. I tried the two new sticks only and booted no problem. I tried all four and it loads then reboots? Help.

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

Need some detailed system specs, please

Motherboard
    Old Ram, New Ram

Or if it's a branded system it's a ........?

3. espressoguy

amd athlon 3200+ socket 939 CPU 800 FSB, 2.0 GHZ, 512 K L2

2 OCZ performance 512mb PC3200 400mhz performance DDR memory

1 MSI K8N neo4-f NFORCE4 socket 939
    1xpci-x16
    4ddr3200

There was already ram in the two slots. I bought two more sticks and now I have four.

4. digger747

digger747

I couldnt get my Asus A8N SLI Deluxe to run with 4 sticks.Look in motherboard manual.Mine stated instead of running at pc 400 with 4 sticks it had to be set at ddr 333.Even after setting it at ddr 333 still wasnt stable.I bought 2-1 gig sticks and put in.See what you can find in MB manual.Just looked in a MSI K8N NEO4 MB manual i have and if memory is double sided ,4 sticks will run at ddr333.I had my memory speed set manually in bios.I changed it to ddr 333 and it ran better but still not stable.Ya i played with my memory timings and everything and fineally got mad and just bought 2 1 gig sticks.Maybe with some tweaking you can make yours work.

5. espressoguy

Sorry digger...I am a novice when it comes to hardware. Should I just take it to the shop that built it and see if they can get it to work or can someone walk me through the steps??

6. digger747

digger747

If it was custom built I think I would at least call them and talk to them about it.Going into the bios and changing the settings for the memory or any other bios settings is not really the best thing if your not familiar with it.

7. espressoguy

yeah, I think that's what I'll do......if no one has any other thoughts.

8. espressoguy

9. telegramsam

telegramsam

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8N_Neo4-F&class=mb

Ok--go to the middle of that page and look at the density per slot chart. This is all a little confusing--I'll keep reading further to try to determine exactly what happened, but you're outside the parameters of this chart, it appears.

I'll be back with a more definitive answer...

10. telegramsam

telegramsam

Does either pair of sticks have memory chips on BOTH sides of the circuit board?

11. espressoguy

I ended up taking my computer to the shop where I had it built and purchased the ram....I'll let you know the outcome.

12. espressoguy

They couldn't get the computer to run with 4 512mb of ddr so I traded them all in for two 1gb sticks. :( hope I notice a difference..

13. telegramsam

telegramsam

If you look at the link above you'll see the RAM specs are complicated. That is ONE PICKY board.

You will probably do better with 2x1GB than with 4x512. Especially with that temperamental thing.

14. espressoguy

thanks for all the insight telegramsam(y)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541895

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice