1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sanchezinc, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sanchezinc

sanchezinc Thread Starter

Hey I need some guidance here, I want to reinstall windows, I have my restoration CD, problem is that the cd driver of my laptop doesnt work, so I got an USB external one. I can use it perfectly during in wndows, but when I intend to use it to boot, it just doesn't happen and continues booting windows from the hard drive.

2. Carey934

Carey934

Copy the files from the restoration CD to a folder on the hard drive, then run them from there.

3. sanchezinc

Ok then, how should I configure BIOS for it to run those files in the HD? (Since those files do not have an executable file .exe, .bat, .com, etc.)

4. Carey934

Carey934

Why not run the files from the hard drive? Are you wanting to format the hard drive?

5. sanchezinc

that's right I want to format.

6. Carey934

Carey934

You do realize that a format is never necessary for a complete and clean XP install? It's a common myth many technicians pass on that don't truly understand how Windows works.

If you insist on formatting, you'll need the files externally, obviously.

7. sanchezinc

Yeah, I know the implications of it all, I'm ready for that. But I won't be able to do it if the boot wont read the cd from that cd rom. That's why I ask.

8. Carey934

Carey934

How about if you make an exact copy of that CD and try booting from the copy?

Of course, you can just copy the files, you'll need to do a full CD copy...

9. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Whats wrong with setting CMOS to boot from the USB and the drive he has?

What is the make and model of your laptop?

10. sanchezinc

its a Gateway MX6425 I want to format becuase it doesn't play any sounds, acording to SisSandra's mainboard review its Video adapter, ethernet adapter, sound adapter, and cardBus Controller are disabled. Yet I have no video conflicts or Ethernet. I already searched for the sound drivers, I have searched through several forums and have installed some drivers but have gotten no progress. I can't install one driver I get a failure message at the end, I tried getting it from severla sites in hopes it was corrupt or something but all those installations hace ended the same. I think the formating should fix it, but I have also found out that several users of the gateway PC's had their trouble start after a formating and windows reinstallation. I really am not sure what to do. I also looked in the BIOS to see if I could enable the sound adapter, but didn't find such option.Need any extra info?
    Im running Windows XP Pro, by the way.

11. Carey934

Carey934

I can fix it for you remotely, if you like. Send me a PM. You should not have to do a reinstall.

A reinstall is a techs way of saying "I don't know how to fix this."

[email protected]

12. sanchezinc

How should I begin?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543911

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice