1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

!!!help!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sqnc, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sqnc

sqnc Thread Starter

Ok, i just recently had installed Windows vista x86, then installed my TV tuner card which had XP drivers and screwed up computer up completely!

so i put it on my dads computer which has vista got my information off it then formatted it in NTFS file system. put it back in my computer then went to installed windows XP media center, as the DOS installation comes up it says loading files then it says STARTING WINDOWS.... it just sits there and does nothing.

so i made a DOS bootdisk downloaded delpart.exe put that on the disk as well, then booted with it, and now i am getting BOOTMGR missing press ALT+CTRL + DEL to restart.

WHAT DO I DO?!??!?!?!

thanks in advanced.

2. steigrafx

steigrafx

Use a DOS boot disk with fdisk.exe. At the A: prompt, type:

fdisk c: /mbr

That will reset the hard drive's master boot record. Then boot from your CD and install Windows.

3. sqnc

sqnc Thread Starter

Which version of MS-DOS will i need to make a boot disk of?
    the one i made in vista wont work. its keeps telling me incorrect dos version and wont run FDISK.

i put it back on my dads comp and booted with vista and formatted it. its has nothing on it.

4. steigrafx

steigrafx

Go to www.bootdisk.com. Select the first choice (DOS/Windows9.x/ME, etc.). Then pick the DOS 6.22 boot disk (I'm pretty sure it has fdisk on it). Download the file, double-click the downloaded file, put a floppy in the drive and follow the on-screen directions to create the disk.

5. sqnc

sqnc Thread Starter

That is where i got the boot disk, but im not sure that it was 6.22. I booted with it then opened FDISK thinking i needed a primary partition consisting of the whole drive, so i did that then it restarted and it comes up saying " MISSING OPERATION SYSTEM"

I have figured out the above, it was just my boot order.
    But FDISK c: /mrb won't work.

I believe this is because my HDD does not have a primary partition on it.
    FDISK will not recognize c:
    ???

6. steigrafx

steigrafx

Your hard drive needs no partition prior to installing Windows. Boot from the XP CD, and you will eventually come to a screen which tells you there is no partition and asks if you want to create one. Follow the on-screen prompts to create the partition. You will then be asked with which file system would you like to format the partition. I would choose NTFS.

Don't use fdisk to create the partition since DOS can't make a partition large enough -- you need to let Windows make the partition.

7. sqnc

sqnc Thread Starter

ok of course, im being such an idiot. i am a ITT, this is terrible.

BUT like i stated earlier i put in the VISTA disc, windows XP media center disc and it hangs. vista gets to the loading bar then freezes. media center gets to he DOS installation part of it then says " setup is starting windows" then just sits there.

So i really dont know what to do. Could it be hardware?
    if it was hardware POST would pick that up.

AHHHH i need my computer back for school / art purposes.

PLEASE HELP?!?!!?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544351

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice