Help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

theberlig

Good morning. FYI - I don't know alot about computers. Here's my question. For some reason my computer signs itself onto the internet at different times of the day. I don't know why or what I need to do to change it, but it's making my crazy. Just now - it signed itself on and no one was even near the computer. Could it be a program on my computer?
Any help would be appreciated.
Tam

Hi there

Sounds like a setting in your Task Scheduler needs adjusting.
Take a look in Programs - Accessories - System Tool - Task Scheduler.

At the bottom right of your screen, next to the clock are some icons. This is you systray, ususlly one of those there will be the culprit. Check each one that may need to be updated on occasion such as virus scanner of instant messenger. In their properties there should be something for them to update automatically. Try to find it and uncheck it. If that doesnt work then you can go to start>run>type msinfo32>click the plus sign next to software environment>click start up>click edit>select all>edit>copy>paste back here with what you have and we will see if we can find the one.
As a good measure, sometimes a firewall can be used to track it down. A good free one is here

http://www.zonelabs.com/

Once installed and set up you have the ability to lock it down and it will report any program that attempts to access the net.

Another good idea is to go here and get a free virus scan

http://housecall.antivirus.com/pc_housecall/

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online