1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wunschlos, Nov 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wunschlos

wunschlos Thread Starter

I have a DELL Dimensions 450T, and am running Windows 98.
    I recently installed a Sony CD-RW. After some help and advise from 'AcaCandy' and 'slipe' I decided I needed to install a ATA66 card.

I installed the card and connected the zip drive to the card, the CD-ROM and the CD-RW we connected to the secondary IDE on the motherboard. I left the hard drive as it was.

Everything seemed to be running perfectly. I was able to burn CD's with no problem However - I use Norton Systems Works and when I tried to create a 'Rescue Disc', I got an error saying that a rescue disc could not be created because my Zip drive was not a 'supported driver'.

I then swapped the CD-RW with the Zip drive on the ATA66 card.
    Putting the Zip drive with the CD-ROM on the secondary as it was originally and put the CD-RW on the ATA66 card.......

I can now use the zip drive with Norton and the CD-RW and CD-ROM seems to be working........BUT.... on computer startup it flashes on the screen that the "Ultra66 contoller is not installed".

ALSO, don't know if this is related in any way, but I now have NO sound with some applications (ie Macromedia Flash) and no BASS with my music files........?? [After initial installation of the ATA66 card the sound worked fine, it wasn't until we put the CD-RW on the ATA66 card and everything else back as original that this problem occurred.]

Was sure hoping I wouldn't need your help again but.......I DO!

:confused:

2. brianF

brianF

did you install the drivers for the card once you booted into windows.

3. wunschlos

wunschlos Thread Starter

When I rebooted to Windows, it found 'New Hardware' then I was prompted to install the software that came with the ATA66 card.
    I did that but that was all I dd. Was more required?

When I go into systems and look under 'Device Managers',
    listed under 'Other Devices' is " ?! PCI Multimedia Device "

Then under 'SCSI COntrollers' is "Promise Technology Ultra66 Controller"

This didn't seem right but don't know what to do to fix it.

4. brianF

brianF

It sounds like the ata card is installed properly

You need to reinstall your sound card drivers to clear the pci multimedia error

5. slipe

slipe

It should display as a SCSI device. That means you have the driver installed. I don’t have the PCI Multimedia Device though. Double click on it and see if you can find out what it is.

You seem to have some sort of problem with the message on boot that the controller is not installed.

You might want to get the latest driver: http://support.promise.com/Support/All.asp?product=ultra66

An advantage to getting the new driver is that it will install regardless of whether the old one is there. The new driver might fix your problem with the boot message that the card is not installed. Put the driver you download on diskette and start with item 3 in the promise instructions:

1 After installing the Ultra66 controller card and configuring the
    hard drive(s) (see “Hardware Installation” on page 4), partition
    and format your hard drive(s), if necessary.
    2 Install Windows 98 normally.
    3 After installation, go the “Start” menu and choose “Settings.”
    4 From the “Settings” menu, choose “Control Panel.”
    5 In the “Control Panel” window, double-click on the “System” icon.
    6 In the “System” window, choose the “Device Manager” tab.
    7 In the hierarchical display under “Other Devices” is a listing for
    “PCI Mass Storage Controller.” Choose it and then press the
    “Properties” button.
    8 Choose the “Driver” tab in the “Properties” window, choose
    “Update Driver,” and then press “Next.”
    9 Choose “Search for a better driver than the one your device is
    using now (recommended),” then press “Next.”
    10 Choose “Specify Location,” and then type “A:\” in the text box.
    11 Insert the “Ultra66 Driver” diskette into the A: drive.
    12 Press the “Next” button. A message informing you that Windows
    has found “Promise Technology, Inc., Ultra66 IDE Controller”
    should appear.
    13 Press “Next,” then “Finish,” then “Yes” when asked if you want to
    restart your computer. Be sure to remove the diskette from drive A:.

You can just leave the driver on the HD where you downloaded it and direct the install to that instead of the floppy.

I wouldn’t mess with the BIOS update. You are unlikely to need it and it can be dicey.

I don’t know how to go about removing the sound card and installing the driver in a proprietary system like a Dell. If you have separate drivers for your sound card you can just remove it in device manager and install the driver when it discovers the new hardware on boot. If Dell uses a restore disc I would hope the drivers are on their site.

6. wunschlos

wunschlos Thread Starter

I went into "Settings" "System" "Device Manager" "Other Devices" and "PCI Mass Storage Controller" is NOT listed. The ONLY thing there is "PCI Multimedia Device". I've clicked on it and I haven't a clue as to what it is. but it does tell me that there is no driver installed for it (?)

Have thought about removing the ATA66 card and starting all over...........bad idea ?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58809

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice