1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jimphot, Dec 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jimphot

jimphot Thread Starter

When I boot my Windows ME laptop on my home network, the laptop cannot see the other two computers. The other two computers see each other and the laptop.

The network consists of:

One desktop running Windows 98SE
    One desktop running Windows XP
    One Netgear DS104 hub
    One (miscreant) laptop running Windows ME

I am running ICS on the XP machine. The laptop can access the internet through the XP machine even though when I double click on "Entire Network" in "My Network Places" on the laptop I get an error message that says "Unable to Browse the Network".

If I click "Start" -> "Log Off..." on the laptop, I get a Windows pop up that asks "Are you sure you want to log off?". If I select "Yes", my desktop reloads and then I can see the other two computers on the network and everything works fine.

All computers are using the same group name "MSHOME" and have different computer names. None of the computers has any IP address assigned nor are there any gateways assigned. All have DNS disabled.

I am either asking a very stupid question or I am not communicating properly. I have asked this question before and gotten no (0) replies. Will someone please give me a hint??

Jim:confused:

2. seeknulfind

seeknulfind

Ok Jim,

I'll take a stab at it, if for no other reason, than to egg on someone who know more than me. (Which won't take much)

What are you using for a client when you log on?

3. jimphot

jimphot Thread Starter

Stabs are appreciated!

I have two choices for logon.

1. Client for Microsoft Networks
    2. Windows Logon

I have tried selecting each one. When the laptop reboots, I get the same results either way.

4. seeknulfind

seeknulfind

I've seen a home network where two compters were fighting over who was the primary server.

I'm not very familiar ME, so keep that in mind, but I believe you should be logging on as microsoft client, and then you need to check your settings.

You might want to try to assign ip addresses to your computers. I think XP will want to act as a server, but I'm not sure how much it matters.

To be safe right click on My Computer/performance (it's a tab)/file system(button) and check the primary use of the computer. Check each machine and make just one act as a server.

Another thing to check is your hub configuration. Is it a hub or a router? That may be playing a part.

5. jimphot

jimphot Thread Starter

The laptop and the Win98 desktop are set up as "Desktop Computer". I can't find similar information on the WinXP desktop. XP doesn't have the "Performance" button when I right-click on "My Computer."

The connection is through a Netgear DS104 which is a 4-port hub.

I 'm having trouble understanding how the desktops could be the problem. They always see each other and the laptop, no matter what. I just don't understand why the laptop configuration isn't the problem. Keep in mind that even the laptop uses the internet connection on the XP desktop with no problem. The laptop just can't see the two desktops until I tell it to "Log Off...", then it works perfectly, too.

6. seeknulfind

seeknulfind

your right it shouldn't be a problem. You must have tcp/ip set up all right to get internet access.

have you tried mapping the drives? On your laptop right click on network neighborhood and click on map network drive.

7. jimphot

jimphot Thread Starter

Seek...,

Thanks for sticking with me. Hope you and yours had a great New Year's celebration.

Same-o, same-o. I can map the hard drive on the laptop from either desktop as soon as the laptop boots up. However, I cannot map a drive on either desktop from the laptop until I click "Start->Log Off..." on the laptop. After that, all computers respond responsibly on the network. I still believe that there is some significance that the laptop never asks me for a password and none are set.

Of course, I can map the desktop drives from either desktop with no problem.

8. seeknulfind

seeknulfind

Hi Jim,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Too much other stuff going on.

I'm almost thinking that you've probably resolved the issue by now but in case you haven't...

I don't believe a log on should make a difference since you should be able to see something even with no id.

If you haven't already try to eliminate you tcp/ip configuration as a cause. An easy way to do this is to add Netbeui to each configuration. It's MS's old but reliable protocal and will at least let you see the other computers.

Go to network neighborhood properties and click on add protocol. Then select netbeui from the Micrsoft group. Try this on your ME machine first as I am not even sure if MS is continuing to offer this option. you will have to add it to each computer. It should run with tcp/ip so I don't believe you should have "switch over" to check. If you can see the others now then we can narrow the problem down to tcp/ip configuration. If not...well let's cross that bridge when we come to it.

If there is anyone out there who would like to jump in please...I am by no means an expert (if that's not already obvious).

Jim, if you have solved the problem, please let me know, I would be interested to see what works.

Andy

9. jimphot

jimphot Thread Starter

Andy,

Well, I am about ready to give up on this one.

First, let me say that netbeui is not included in Windows XP, nor is it supported.

Now, as to what I've done:

I called my laptop manufacturer (HP) and they had me:

Right-click "My Network Places"

Select "Properties"

Select "File and Priner Sharing"

Take the check marks out of "I want to be able to give others access to my files" and "I want to be able to allow others to print to my printer(s)".

Click "OK"

Reboot

Right-click "My Network Places"

Select "Properties"

Select "File and Priner Sharing"

Put the check marks back in "I want to be able to give others access to my files" and "I want to be able to allow others to print to my printer(s)".

Click "OK"

Reboot

At this point I could see all the shared devices on the network from the laptop, including the shared devices on both the Wim98 and WinXP machines. I rebooted the laptop to test the "fix" and everything was still great - no "logoff" required.

I felt pretty good about this "fix" at the time. However, when I later rebooted my Windows XP desktop, this machine could no longer see the network! I tried running the networking wizard, but it failed. It would not complete. I finally shut down all three computers and the hub, disconnected and reconnected everything and rebooted all computers. The XP desktop still couldn't see the network. I ran the network wizard again and it completed. Now the XP machine and the Win98 desktop talk normally again. The XP machine can see also the laptop's shared devices.

The laptop (WinME) now sees the Win98 desktop and its shared devices everytime on bootup. However, the laptop can see the shared devices on the WinXP desktop only after logging off!

I guess you could say I have come a step closer with the laptop. There seems to be some barrier that keeps the laptop from seeing the WinXP desktop on bootup. Since the laptop (WinME) and Win98 desktop see each other everytime, I believe that the problem lies with WinXP.

Jim

:confused:

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63527

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice