1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by snake31455, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. snake31455

snake31455 Thread Starter

hey all. am new to this site and need your help. have a old hewlett packard vectra ve computer. was running windows 2000 operating good but virus got it. just installed windows 98. have 2 problems. can not change the color setting from 2 & 16 and can not move the slide bar to change pixels. have added sRGB color/space/profile.icm as recomended by windows as my default color but it will not accept it. 2nd problem is the screen size seems to be way to big for the size of monitor i have which is 14 inch. have tried to fix both problems and have had no luck. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

2. SB305

SB305

98 original or 98 Second Edition?
    Did you get drivers from the HP website for your motherboard and the hardware in your rig specifically for whichever of those two Operating Systems you are using?
    Have you got a load of yellow ?s in Device Manager?
    IF you do get that sorted out, remember that Microsoft no longer supports 98 with new updates. Nevertheless, particularly since you have downgraded from 2000, you should download the old updates which are still available.
    Good luck! (y)

3. snake31455

snake31455 Thread Starter

thanks msb for answering. windows 98 second edition and i only have three yellow questions. what and how do i download the 98 updates? thanks once again

4. kimsland

kimsland

5. vicks

vicks

Some of the updates can still be manually downloaded... as for the display, if you know the make of your video card you can go to www.driverguide.com and get the correct driver for you computer (this is free, but you must register to use it)./ I had to do this for our old laptop running 98SE. If you do not know the mfg of the card, download, install and run the following free program www.belarc.com It will tell you everything on your computer including license numbers etc.
    Good luck
    vicks

6. SB305

SB305

The old Microsoft updates for 98SE can be downloaded from the Microsoft website - probably even by using Windows Update still.
    But forget about those until you've zapped those problems in Device Manager. The link given by kimsland should give you a very good idea of whether that's practical or not.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650651

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice