1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by kf154307, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kf154307

kf154307 Thread Starter

I have a Dell laptop and just recently when I plug it in to charge it, it says that it cannot recognize the AC adapter and that the laptop may operate slowly and not charge. At first, it was charging fine. Now, I have to leave it plugged in all the time, and as soon as I unplug it, it dies. It will not charge or hold charge, no matter how long I leave it plugged in. Everytime I plug it in I get the message about it not recognizing the charger, and it asks me to plug in a Dell charger. I have not switched chargers at all, so I am confused as to why it suddenly stopped working! Help!

2. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

Dell has, or had, firmware in their charging system that requires specific adapter models. Whether an adapter delivers the same electricity as the Dell doesn't matter-the firmware still won't charge the battery unless it recognizes the adapter as a specific Dell model. So, it sounds to me like either the ID circuit in your adapter has failed or the firmware in your charging system has failed. Either way the solution is up to Dell, I think. (Personally I no longer own any Dell laptops precisely because of this.)

3. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

The Dells have had several recalls for A/C adapters.....if you would like help to find out if you are eligible for a free replacement from Dell, post back with the Seervice Tag ID found on the label underneath the laptop.

Or, you can go here and check for yourself> http://support.dell.com/support/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs

You will see a place to type in the Service Tag when you click one of the links such as "Drivers and Downloads"

Once you are to the place to get specific drivers etc for your exact model, look way over on the right side of page for "Alerts/Notifications or Recalls" with a subject of battery or A/C adapter, either could have a recall

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977557

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice