1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HelpComputer repeatedly freezes for a heartbeat when in the main Windows Environment

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ehran, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ehran

Ehran Thread Starter

Hey folks, running into a bit of an odd problem that I was wondering if you could help with.

I'd been interested in running Neverwinter Nights 2 for a while, and recently found a VisionTek Radeon X1300 video card (used) for quite cheap. I plugged it in and, after an amusing series of misadventures (having to set the Bios to load the PCI slot instead of the AGP slot) got it working. And to my delight, the game also works.

I have obtained from their website all the most recent drivers for the card, since it cannot seem to automatically update. I did also do a complete uninstall and reinstall of the drivers to ensure that I had everything correct....

The trouble then, is this: When I'm using the computer normally, a handfull of times each minute it will 'lock up' for a heartbeat and then go back to normal. I've not found this a 'huge' problem, but since I cannot find the cause I'll admit I'm a bit concerned. I've watched the Windows Task Mangager to see if any program is causing the spike, but so far I'm seeing no process spike in CPU usage when the system pauses. My CPU 'usage' on the other hand does spike, usually to about 50% or so from 0-5% when I'm just testing it by wiggling the mouse around.

I'm fairly certain it is some sort of an issue with the video card, simply because the trouble all started immediately after I put it in - but when I'm actually running a game like Neverwinter Nights, or the old Diablo or whatnot, the freezing and stuttering stops completely. I 'only' see it when I'm within the main part of Windows - but it impacts video playback, music, etc - creating a stuttering sound as the playback freezes for a moment.

I'm leaving an MP3 playing right now as I type this, and it is 'not' stuttering as long as I'm not switching back and forth, or scrolling up in the I.E. window. - strangely, as I test a video file it does 'not' appear to cause the problem - while the video is playing, even in the background, the system does not seem to freeze. The moment I switch off the video, it does.

The only other thing I can think to mention is that when I 'do' run Neverwinter Nights, the game runs perfectly, but the video sequence in the opening is severely choppy and jerky. I just escape though it, but it may be another piece to the puzzle...I don't know.

If there is any other information I could provide that would help, please let me know, and any ideas you folks might have would be wonderful.

-Ehran

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646432

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice