1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

helping out with hijackthis logs

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by etaf, Jul 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. etaf

etaf Moderator Thread Starter

First Name:
    Wayne
    Hi, secruity guys,
    I was wondering if there is anyway if some of our less experianced guys can help out here. I know i would like too

for example - knowing when to run cwshedder and ad-aware//spybot with out making the situation worse -

would there be a reference we could use that says, if you see
    X, Y, Z - in the log - do nothing
    if the log does not have A, B, C then you can run ad-aware/spybot...

i have noticed a number of people want to help out and also on a few posts - you have advised to run ad-aware or cwshedder straight away.

just a thought if we could help get rid of some of the drose and free you guru guys up for more of the complicated hjt logs.

just a thought if it helps out :)

2. Infidel_Kastro

Infidel_Kastro

Etaf,
    Running Adaware and CWs will never hurt a user, however, it may not help the user either.
    Adaware is just a good tool to have on your computer to use. We use it to help clean out logs, remove spyware, etc, and also to help to remove some variants of CW and other baddies.
    The best advice I can give is to read, read, read, and when you are done, re-read these posts. I know everything I know, which is very little, by looking at other posts and just following them along.
    Don't be afraid to ask questions. If you want, I don't mind putting them in the thread, just be prepared that if we are too busy, we may not be able to respond. You can PM, even now, I'll PM some of the MOD's of I begin to second-guess myself, and they will all say the same thing, they would rather receive a PM, then to have to go back and fix someone's screw-ups who was otherwise just trying to help.
    I believe we have toyed with the idea of what you are posting, the main issue is that there are too many variants of everything, the tech level of the user and the HJT readers, and the ability to differentiate between one infection, or two infection, or just a mess of problems.
    Just be patient and don't try to learn everything at once.
    Even the best sometimes "drop the ball", Flrman and I had a nice laugh about trying to remove something from my computer, and it was such a little detail, a setting after the infection was gone, that made all the difference, and he even had it written down, and we had both stared at it w/o even realizing it. Stuff like that happens, but do I now doubt Mark's ability to be a MOD and know what he's doing? ABSOLUTELY. :D (Just kidding).
    The point is that I would never try to gain everything he knows about this quickly. It takes time, practice, patience, and a tech skill level way beyond mine at this time.
    Also, most MoD's and others, maybe I am the exception, I don't know, belong to more than one forum and share ideas and techniques. So w/o sounding mean, look at other security forums, not that we don't want you here at TSG, but see how others are doing things.
    Regardless, we do appreciate any help that someone gives, as long as it doesn't hurt the users. We are here to help, nothing more, nothing less, we don't guarantee the results of our help, but we TRY. And thats more than someone else can say in the course of their day. We aren't paid to do this. Most of us are just truly sick and depraved individuals that for some odd reason, really gain some satisfaction of fixing these things, or maybe its just me again.
    Anyway, I need to stop rambling, any questions,ask. :)

3. etaf

etaf Moderator Thread Starter

First Name:
    Wayne
    thats great thanks for the quick reply - you dont sound mean at all - - i'll continue as is and read read read read read read... :) and after that i'll read some more :) (y) (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!