1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Helping senior citizens set up wifi for smart tv

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by Kimbo22, Nov 13, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Kimbo22

Kimbo22 Thread Starter

My parents do not have a computer or smartphones. They do not record tv programs. In addition to watching the main tv networks, they only watch the Game Show network and BYUtv. They have switched from Dish to AT&T to Spectrum trying to reduce the cost of their monthly bill but fees keep increasing. What equipment and services are needed to get them the tv programs they want, for a reasonable monthly fee, without going through these companies?

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

3. Kimbo22

Kimbo22 Thread Starter

Thank you. I will check to see if this System offers the two channels my parents watch. I appreciate your help!

4. britekguy

britekguy

They may also be able to significantly reduce their costs by "going streaming" rather than cable or dish.

That is, if they are willing to do just a bit of technology learning in the process. For instance, T-Mobile has a plan for seniors with unlimited talk, text, and data (except for mobile hotspot use, which, while unlimited can throttle after the GB limit for the plan you choose is reached) that includes a subscription to Netflix as part of it. You can stream from the phone to the TV using the casting device of your choosing (I have Chromecast) until you are proverbially blue in the face and never go over a data limit.

If they happen to be Amazon Prime members (which, I know, is doubtful if they don't have a computer) that full library of video and audio is available to them for streaming from a smartphone.

Virtually all the networks (save CBS, and that's only if you want to have access to programs older than several weeks since initial broadcast) also stream, too.

Given that the T-Mobile (and, I'm sure there are analogs at other carriers) plan costs, in my case, $90/month for two lines with unlimited everything it is significantly less expensive than a separate internet or cable subscription plus subscribing to additional content.

Just something to consider. Of course, if they're adamant "no new technology" folks or live in a cell & cell data dead zone then this is entirely off the table.

5. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Any chance they could obtain most of what they like over the public broadcasting? Using an antenna?

6. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Not likely, Brad. The initial post indicates that they like watching BYUtv and the Game show Network. The former is available as a Roku app and the latter in several streaming packages (Sling, etc.). So, to Brian's point, streaming is definitely a viable option.

Drabdr likes this.
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235646

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice