1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Helping things to keep running... and faster!

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by TechGuy, Feb 16, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    As you all know, it takes a lot of money to keep a site of this size up and running, especially at any kind of reasonable speed. Unfortunately, the money required to keep the speed improving simply doesn't exist solely on advertising. Banner advertising alone brings in almost no income today. Although I've been given several tempting offers from pop-under advertisers, I'd really hate to see things end up like that. I've just made a few more adjustments that should keep things up and running for a bit longer, but we're really going to need to upgrade our connection. I've already spoken to some providers and we can get a much better connection. We're paying a reduced rate, and as part of that agreement I can't give you details, but the new connection would cost about $200/month more than what I'm already paying out of my pocket. So, I'd like to open the floor up for any ideas or comments on how we can keep things running nicely... The Moderators and I have already been in a few discussions about additional fund-raising possibilities, other advertising (not pop-up or pop-under), sponsorships, etc. Please think about it and give us some input!

Also, don't forget that you can <a href="http://www.helponthe.net/how2help/donate.html">make a donation</a>... every little bit helps.

2. Tuppence2

Tuppence2 Guest

Hello Mike,

I think you ought to post this more generally in Random - many members of the Site will not see your thread.

Best wishes
    Penny.

3. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Mike, I'm willing to make a donation, but last time I did that for a tech site they decided to shut down shortly afterwards anyway.

I don't want to see that happen again :(

John

4. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    Bassettman, as I've said every time you've posted, we would have to shut down if everyone felt that way. Thank goodness some people still try.

5. bassetman

Mike, sorry I didn't remember that.
    Things haven't been going very well for me here lately, and my memory and concentration isn't at it's peek.

John

6. Rhettman5.1

Rhettman5.1

Ever thought of a TSG fund drive ?? Say for a week or two in early spring ?

You could start it in random and do a friendly challenge or pledge drive.

I think it would work, just make sure to emphasize that donations are still accepted all year

Most of the random people are so eager to outdue each other, you may be able to retire !! ;) ... Rhett

(Speaking of donations, I'm about due...hang in there!! I'm working on it !) :)

7. hewee

hewee

Have a section that we can't post in but it has sub sections to it and it is all ads for hardware, software etc.
    Any new hardware and software company can pay you to place there.

But it would not effect the forums but you could have a logo and link on each page to link you to the ads.

It's something I would look at because I would want to see what's new and read Reviews and it is no be force on me because I can go there on my own and look at a 1000 ads if I want to.

Plus you could the income from the click tru if they go tru your site to buy the software etc. Some companys pay 10 to 25 percent to you that something sells for.

Read here and your see they pay 20 precent.

http://www.ulead.com/partnercenter/affiliate.htm

So you know the more comanys you get the better so you need a ad section.

8. bassetman

Ok Mike, I decided to shut-up (tempororialy) and donate.

Looking forward to the ADs going away.

John

PS Hewee, I like your idea at first blush! :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119143

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice