1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hercules v ATI graphics cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AlbertB, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AlbertB

AlbertB Thread Starter

Hi,

I've just come into an old Hercules 3D Prophet II Ultra 64MB (NVidia chips I believe) at a very good price, (the best price of all ;) ), but I have no experience of this card at all. I'm obviously wondering whether it would be a better card to use than my ATI Rage Fury Pro/Xpert 2000 32MB card. This assumes that Win2K drivers are available for the Hercules of course.

Does anyone have any info they can offer? :)

(edit: Win2k drivers just downloaded from Hercules site.)

2. active95

active95

Compare with the ATI Rage hands down it's a whole lot better. It's still a Geforce II card, using the reference design ( the last card made by Hercules before going bankcrupt was the TNT II , if i'm not mistaken) so don't expect to be able to run the lastest games on it ( well you can , but it will look ugly).
    Anyways if you want to take a look , here's a review for you http://www.activewin.com/reviews/hardware/graphics/hercules/3dprophetIIultra/index.shtml
    HTH

3. AlbertB

AlbertB Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice Active.

I have to admit I'm not a gamer at all, (unless you class my only dabble, F/A-18E Super Hornet, a game and I don't! :mad: ;) ), but I do a little intensive graphics work as part of my job and the idea of a better card did appeal. It was lying around at work and I was asked if I wanted it for free, so I naturally said yes and walked away a happy man.

I read in a revue that the drivers from NVidia are now better than the Hercules ones can you comment on that at all? Failing that I now have the latest (?) Hercules items as I mentioned so I will give it a try I think. :)

4. active95

active95

Sure... since so much time had passed which the card and drivers saw the light of day , of course the latest Nvidia drivers will perform much better then the original Hercules one. And on top of that Hercules went out of business and were bought by the french ( Guillemot) hence Guillemot will use Nvidia drivers ( well since all the cards based on the Nvidia chip are basically "clones" there is no need to try and get some " optimized for that particular card " drivers, if you catch my drift :D )
    So install the lastest Nvidia drivers ( i believe now they are 56.XX ) and enjoy the card.
    Oh you mention something about " intensive graphic works". I hope you're not referring to CAD, since the card was not made for CAD ( then again you got free.. :D :D )

5. AlbertB

AlbertB Thread Starter

Just a quick update Active.

The Hercules card is in and running. I think I can say at this stage that it is a step up from the ATI card as you suggested. I am using drivers downloaded from Hercules site, (40.41), but I do have an alternative set from NVidia, (56.72), which I may try when I get bored. Apparently overclocking is not an option with this card! Shouldn't affect me as I'm not a hardened gamer and even the ATI board has been capable of just about everything I have asked it to do.

Thanks again. :)

6. active95

active95

Appreciate the follow_up ( if u would only know how many folks forget to do that ) AlbertB.
    At this stage i guess follow the old saying " if it ain't broken , don't fix" :D. In other words if you are happy how the card performs stick with the Hercules drivers. If you run into problems you can always update them to 56.XX one.

7. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

8. AlbertB

AlbertB Thread Starter

Gottit StillLearnin', thanks! :)

9. brite750

brite750

Boy I wish they'd hand out free graphics cards at my job.

10. AlbertB

AlbertB Thread Starter

But I bet you get wages instead Brite! :D

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217844

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice