1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Here we go again...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PunkyPug, Dec 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PunkyPug

PunkyPug Thread Starter

Alrighty, we had this issue before but we had temporarly solved it by taking the battery out and keeping the laptop plugged in. But almost the same issue arouse while keeping my laptop plugged in so I put the battery back in plugged it in and it was back to normal. Until now:

I don't do too much on my laptop compared to my best friend. I play world of warcraft 3-5 hours during the day. Go to work for 5-8 hours, come home maybe play 2 more hours of WOW and go to bed. That's all I do. Aside from the random music video or google searches.
    Back when I was in college I used to run photoshop, iTunes and the Internet all at the sametime for 8-10 hours straight on this laptop. It is now entertainment for me.

Anyhow, my problem is:
    I turn on computer, it starts up normally. I log in and watch my screen load. Usually in the bottom left I have a few icons pop up and disappear in the taskbar. But none pop up. I noticed that It is not registering the plug and there is a battery symbol is an empty batt with a little blinking X. Normally symboling that I have lost batt power and putter will go to sleep on me. But wait, I plugged it in. Check my wire at the wall. Fully plugged in. Check that little box thingy that sometimes comes unplugged if accidently pulled on. Fully plugged. Finally check puter connection. Fully plugged. Even the light on the outside is registering that the plug is in.
    Okay? Take out battery and turn on puter......not turning on!!!!! Check whole cord again cause I have a spaztastic dog and cat. Everything thing is plugged in!!! Why won't you turn on?!?!?:( (no I'm not hitting puter)
    Leave puter sit while plugged in for a while and try again. No dice.

Any ideas???

2. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

It sounds very much like the battery isn`t being charged up either because -

1. The battery itself is old, knackered or possibly shorting out inside.
    2. The power jack on the motherboard has dry joints causing intermittent charging therefore not getting the chance to put a full charge into the battery.
    3. The power lead from the mains to the brick (or from the brick to the laptop) has a cut or split in it again causing an intermittent connection creating the same problems as `2`.

If you have access to another battery of the same model, try swapping them over although I realize the chances of that are quite slim.

Visually inspect the full length of the power lead from the wall socket to the laptop connector, not forgetting to check the fuse !

If you have a friendly computer shop near you, you could explain the problem and ask if they could check or confirm the power jack on the motherboad although as it`s quite a fiddly and time consuming job, be prepared for their price estimate.

Jenny

3. PunkyPug

PunkyPug Thread Starter

Thanks for your input
    I've had the laptop maybe over 2 years and I did keep it plugged in quite a bit. I've heard keeping it plugged in can do harm to the battery.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032424

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice