1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Here's a Challenge! Copy XP Hard Drive!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ross1420, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ross1420

ross1420 Thread Starter

I am tired of getting low on HD space. I currently have a 4.3GB drive on my PC with XP Pro on it. I decided to copy the 4.3GB onto a 6.4GB to accommodate and solve the 'low space' issue. I made an exact copy with the exception that the software told me that 3 files could not be copied (ntuser.dat being one of them). The software told me not to worry about it because the OS creates these files upon boot.

So I take the 4.3GB out and plugin the 6.4GB and boot. All I see on the screen is Windows XP and it locks up. What is going on? I want an exact copy onto the 6.4 just so I have a little more room!

By the way, I used Western Digital Data Lifeguard to copy the hard drive content from one to the other. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Pancake

Pancake

You have to format and install XP on the 6.4 HD so it will recognise the mother board.This is why it will not boot properly.You can then transfer all the files from the 4.3

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219871

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice