1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Here's a puzzle; Windows XP login crash!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by boifi0ness, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. boifi0ness

boifi0ness Thread Starter

Okay geniuses. Here's a puzzle that I can't pin-point myself.

PROBLEM:
    A clean Windows XP installation halts/freezes at the Windows logo screen (where you see the blue bar indicator).

SOLUTIONS I'VE TRIED BUT FAILED:
    A different Windows XP cd.
    A different Windows OS (98, millennium).
    A different hard drive.
    A different power supply (this is when I just got desperate).

I ended up buying a new mobo, cpu, and RAM. I needed to upgrade anyways. I haven't tried reinstalling Windows XP with these new equipment yet. I hope it works. =D

2. theriddler

theriddler

have you tried booting up in safe mode, when you say freezes, do you mean the blue bar stops, or does it keep swaying from side to side,this happend to my old computer it used to take like an ice age to load up, It would bore me to tears watching the blue bar bounce around, but then again its kinda hypnotic :p

3. Dan O

Dan O

Make sure to remove all optional options, such as non needed cards and disconnect any devices. Download and installed the latest BIOS. And if that does not fix the problem you may have some bad memory or video card.

4. boifi0ness

Yes, I've tried safe mode. That's the weird thing about it. Safe Mode works just fine and it doesn't crash. There goes the bad hardware theory??? It makes sense doesn't it?

I also detached any hardware that wasn't necessary for it to function.

It's a total mystery why the normal Windows will not boot. Oh before I forget, let me answer that "long load" theory. I did leave it the computer at that Windows logo loading screen for a good 30 minutes. The indicator did not go any further than half way. It is a total mystery!!!

5. theriddler

theriddler

because it loads up in safemode, Im guessing maybe spyware or viruses are affecting your startup,

try going to msconfig, and turning of some useless startup programs, also make sure only one hardrive is connected to your computer, that used to speed things up for me.

lastly if it is spyware

Download 'Hijack This!
    http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/threat_analytics/hijackthis.php

*Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop.
    *Doubleclick on the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop.
    *By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis .
    *Click on Install.
    *It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
    *Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
    *Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log *should open in notepad.
    *Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents *of the log.
    *go to this thread and post the contents
    *DO NOT have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

now please wait for a mod with a gold badge to respond, they will be able to analyse your log and tell you if there is anything bad running on your computer :)

6. boifi0ness

Thanks for the replies guys. Unfortunately, I don't think it is anything software (Windows) related because I wrote zeroes to one of the hard drives I was using to test. Also, only one hard drive was connected to my system during this disaster. And I used two different hard drives to see if it was a bad hard drive/software.

Does anyone believe it might be bad mobo drivers? That is the only thing I couldn't/didn't test.

7. Dan O

Dan O

If it works in Safe Mode you need to understand what occurs differently.

Windows Operation in Safe Mode
    There are several things that happen when Windows boots in Safe Mode that differ from a normal boot:

* Safe Mode does not run the autoexec.bat or config.sys files (special DOS-based startup files used in pre-XP versions of Windows).
    * Most device drivers are not loaded. A device driver is the software that Windows uses to interact with a piece of hardware, such as a printer or scanner.
    * Instead of the normal graphics device driver, Safe Mode uses standard VGA graphics mode. This mode is supported by all Windows-compatible video cards.
    * Windows does not load or run any programs it normally does at startup.
    * The Windows desktop loads up in 16 colors and at a resolution of 640 x 480 with the words "Safe Mode" in each corner.

Try enabling boot logging to locate the problem.

To Enable Boot Logging by pressing F8 or by selecting it from the boot menu, the boot log is written to %SystemRoot%\Ntbtlog.txt.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/609803

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice