1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

heres a stumper- install wierdness

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by looneybob1, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. looneybob1

looneybob1 Thread Starter

ok, first, i have been using linux in one form or another for about 5 years now, i have tried alot of the distros, so not a true noob, but this one has me stumped. i have an older gateway solo 1150cl laptop which was running win me, since i hate windows :) , and have not used it in awhile, i decided to install suse 9.3 on it. install went according to plan till the re-boot after first disc, then nothing. so, i decided well, too old, so i tried f.c 3, same thing, install fine everything found correctly, but after grub loads, blank screen, so i tried f.c 1 same thing, next up was mandrake 9.0, successful worked really good, so i have 10.1, decided to try that, same as the others, blank screen after bootloader, to answer the obvious, yes i have all those distros and more. i also ran knoppix first to make sure all hardware would get seen.. lol, pulling what little hair i have left out on this one. have since put mandrake 9 back on it, runs great. that is the only distro i have that will run. any idea's?

2. saikee

saikee

Very simple.

While you have a working Mandrake take a look at its /etc/X11/xorg.conf and record the video driver it selected. It is just one line like
    Code:
    Driver "nv"
    or 
    Driver "ati"
    or
    Driver "vesa"
    Whenever you have a problem of a blank screen it is most probably that Linux has picked a mismatched video driver. The system hasn't hang yet in most cases. It just lost a mean to communicate with you. Pressing ctrl+al+backapsce should drop you into the terminal mode. There you can edit /ect/X11/xorg.conf and override the mismatched driver. Save the xorg.conf and type
    Code:
    startx
    to fire up the GUI. You can get the Linux up and running by trial and error with the available generic drivers.

Never had a blank screen afterward.

I have one PC that has an onboard video card which even today I have no idea of what type. I moved over 60 installed Linux from another PC over by forced-fed it with a hard disk and none of them worked because the video mismatched. I found out the "vesa" driver works and amended the xorg.conf of each one. They all run perfectly now.

3. looneybob1

hi saikee,
    tried that, it never gets thfar enuf to have that, only with mandrake 9.0 and the video drivers are correct, with ALL the others, you boot from cd to install, and thats as far as you get. thanks tho.

4. saikee

saikee

You should try the latest distros like Suse 10.2, Fedora Core 5 and Mandriva 2006.

Newer versions are better in detecting hardware.

Laptops, with cut-corner generic video, may be more difficult to match but I didn't have a problem with my BenQ and Advent in my Linux installation.

On desktop I still run Mandrake 9.2, FC2 and Suse 9.1 together with their latest versions.

You best bet is to try a few more recent distros.

5. looneybob1

yea, tried that too. downloaded mandriva, and i already have suse 10.1 its just a hardware thing i guess, have actuall ran into puters that wouldnt run some forms of windows, lol, ive given it up for right now, i'll keep mandrake 9.0 on it for awhile and just every once in awhile try a newer version.. maybe gentoo next.. thanks man.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483835

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice