1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Here's A Surprise --- IE 5.5 Problems :P

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Wet Chicken, Feb 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken Thread Starter

I know that IE 5.5 is riddled with problems and bugs but I was hoping that by now someone has figured out a fix for some of them.

The main problem that i'm having is that when I go to a web page I get the "no page found" error, and I have to always refresh in order for the page to be seen. Is there anyway to fix this? I have no icons on my desktop because I read that those could hurt your connection but it didn't help any. Also, when I go to a web page, sometimes I have to hit the "back" button for the page to show up, as if it somehow went one page to many. Is there anything that i can do to fix this? Thanks

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Wet: I'm posting this only to bring your question back to the top because I know somebody's gotta have an answer for you.

I have to chuckle every time I see this post. I can just see the hightlights off the huge drops of sarcasm sliming down the title of it. Very funny! Really! (Been laughing for a few days now...)

3. Wet Chicken

Well I was hoping someone would catch that title [​IMG]

Who would have known that IE5.5 would have problems???

4. rebound.K-357

rebound.K-357

Hiya... Chicken, and welcome to the site.

I, too, have been chuckling at your post over the passed couple of days.

Question: Who is your service provider?

Also, what's the build # of your IE 5.5? (At the top of your browser, click Help, then on "About Internet Explorer."

It will say something like 5.50.4134.0600 or 5.50.4522.1800 (SP1.) Heaven forbid if its the beta version.

We have two computers that connect to the net in this household. The one I'm using now has 4522.1800 (SP1,) and 4134.0600 on the other. Neither give problems.

Give this a shot when you have time to do some downloading:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Start>Run> msinfo32
    At the top, click the Tools tab, then on Internet Explorer repair tool.

In the box that comes up, select "Add a Component." After a minute or so, a box will appear showing all of the installed components available in your version of IE.

The items in bold do not require updating. The rest do- but not all of them are needed/required.

Internet Explorer 5.5
    ----------------------
    In the top section, put a check in all of the components that are not bold.

Communications
    ---------------
    The next section depends on your uses- I use MSN Messenger but not Outlook Express nor NetMeeting so MSN Messenger is the only one bold on my end; check the items as desired.

Multimedia
    -----------
    Put a check next to all components that are not bold.

Web Authoring Components:
    --------------------------
    Make sure at least Visual Basic Scripting Support is bold, the others are up to you.

Multi-Language Support:
    ------------------------
    Language Auto-Selection should be bold, if not, put a check next to it. The rest are as desired.

If you added a check to any of the items, its download time. (Not 50 megs, just a few.. maybe up to 8 or 10, depending.)

Click the Next button to start the download, its time to rumble.

Keep in mind that once the download is over, you will be prompted to save all work and close applications, etc. They don't mean after clicking OK, as Windows will automatically restart within 15-20 seconds when you do.

If by chance you're suffering from "AOL-itis," (v6.0)and problems persist, (do the above first,) then read this.

[This message has been edited by rebound.K-357 (edited 02-14-2001).]

5. Wet Chicken

Hi rebound.K-357. I don't think it's my service provider because I have two other computers. One has this same version of IE, the other has 5.01. The one with 5.01 works great. The other one with 5.5... well you know [​IMG]

My version of IE is 5.50.4522.1800IC

When I click on Start>Run>mainfo32>Tools I do not have anything listed for IE. There is something called WMI Control which looked pretty cool but it was for the computer, not IE. I thought that "Add a component" was in control panel somewhere? They must have moved it because it was working correctly. If it was broke they would have left it still there [​IMG]

6. rebound.K-357

rebound.K-357

The reason I asked about your service provider is that it's a different ballgame trying to fix-up or straighten out a system problems where AOL is involved. I'd stil like to know just to include that as a variable or not.

In the Control Panel should be Add/Remove Programs; this is not the route I was taking.

In your last post, you mentioned Add/Remove Programs not being in the Control Panel? Or did you mean "Add a Component" (which doesn't appear in the Control Panel as an icon?)

Ok, just to make sure, here is a quote from you:

"When I click on Start>Run>mainfo32>Tools I do not have anything listed for IE. There is something called WMI Control which looked pretty cool but it was for the computer,..."

I'm pretty sure that meant msinfo32 but typo'd it, which in that case its no biggy (technically speaking,) but if you actually typed that then we're off track.

As for the version # of your IE... What you have there is the "Internet Content Provider" build. I suggest you go to 5.50.4522.1800 SP1, which has proved itself to me. My system is pretty well nailed down and wouldn't dare pop a blue screen on me (crash,crash,booted,blue smoke.) lol [​IMG]

Check out this Microsoft article - Q164539

Also, try a search on Microsoft's site. Simply type wmi and take a gander at what it returns. I think SP1 would be your best bet.

7. Wet Chicken

Yes that was a typo. Blame it on the Microsoft keyboard [​IMG]

Acording to that article I am running 5.50.4522.1800 Internet Explorer 5.5 Service Pack 1 . Is that your version too?

If I already have the service pack then how do I get rid of the Internet Content Provider version and get (I think) the ISP version? I think it might have said something in that artical. I'll look at it tomorrow to check.

8. rebound.K-357

rebound.K-357

Here's what my "About Internet Explorer" sheet looks like:

[​IMG]

If that's not what you're seeing, then-

Go to the Microsoft site. Lookup Internet Explorer 5.5 SP1

Select the option to download it and follow their directions by selecting: Run this program from its current location.

Now you're into at least a 20 meg download, (or as high as 90 megs, JUST kidding.)

Let the Windows Update environment run its course, it will need to restart when done downloading and installing (of course!)

I believe that you'll be much happier with SP1. After restarting, get back on the net and go through the motions I described earlier for updating/upgrading any overlooked components to ensure that your new IE will settle in nicely.

9. Wet Chicken

Ok you showed me yours, so i'll show you mine [​IMG]

It looks the same as yours does except for that 'IC' part. I even have the SP1 installed that you were talking about. Just so that there are no misunderstandings, you are saying to REinstall SP1 and then try using it again ?

[This message has been edited by Wet Chicken (edited 02-16-2001).]

10. Wet Chicken

Here is an update. I decided that since I have two computers like this, that I would try updating one of them as you described above. When it was all done, it STILL said 'IC' at the end of the version number.

It appears that nothing was changed.

Any more ideas on what to do ?

11. rebound.K-357

rebound.K-357

LOL @ show you mine if you show me yours!! I was thinking that but didn't want to say it so I wouldn't look like a perv. I guess that makes you the perv then? hehe JK [​IMG]

Do you have the ability to run the Internet Explorer Repair Tool through mscinfo32 under the Tools tab? It should be there.

Another thing to do would be to check in your Internet Properties (click the tools tab on your browser at the top)
    Go to the advanced tab.
    Scroll down to where you see PCT SSL TLS, etc. Make sure all of those are checked.
    Uncheck Use Fortezza (right click on it and look at the tool tip, you'll see why)

Run SFC, Start>Run> sfc

Update your verification tables, and restore and files listed as corrupted.

[This message has been edited by rebound.K-357 (edited 02-15-2001).]

12. Wet Chicken

he he he, guess i'm busted [​IMG]

I still can't use the mscinfo32 because nothing is listed for IE as noted above when I tried it the last time. I had PCT and TLS unchecked, so I checked them. Now I need to find out how to get rid of that 'IC' thing at the end of my version number. I went to Microsoft but couldn't find anything saying how to do this.

------------------

Will Work For Bandwidth !

13. Wet Chicken

Cannot run sfc.

It says no such program exist.

------------------

14. rebound.K-357

rebound.K-357

Are you using Windows ME?

15. Wet Chicken

Yes, that's how I got stuck with 5.5. I was happy with 5.01, but ME crams 5.5 onto your machine weather you want it or not.

------------------

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/31533

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice