1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Here's A Surprise --- IE 5.5 Problems :P

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Wet Chicken, Feb 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rebound.K-357

rebound.K-357

Well, chit... I'm not sure if you can revert back to any previous versions of IE, I think you can't. [​IMG]

I run 98 FE myself, and stickin' with it.

2. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken Thread Starter

Yeah I know, I might have to wait until they come out with another update. Wow, that's a scary thought [​IMG]

------------------

Will Work For Bandwidth !

3. rebound.K-357

rebound.K-357

Yeah it is!

Although I liked some of the new features of ME, but they changed several others. Why? Seems to me as if they fixed some things that weren't broke. Ooops.

4. Wet Chicken

Well IE seems to be a little faster now that we checked off that thing and checked PCT and TLS (whatever they are). So I guess it wasn't a total loss. As far as ME, well that 'restore' feature should have been included with 98. It's a godsend. I don't think 2000 has it. I'm sure the new version (XP) will. They'd be crazy not to add it. Well when you look at it that way, maybe they won't add it [​IMG]

------------------

Will Work For Bandwidth !

5. rebound.K-357

rebound.K-357

The restore feature on ME is definately easier to get to and has alot more options for restoring the registry.

Restoring the registry can be done on Win 98 but except we just have to reboot in DOS mode and type scanreg /restore [​IMG]

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Glad we got you some moral support, if not some help, Wet.

And who knows, guys? Maybe the IE upgrade will be even better than 5.5!!

7. Wet Chicken

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dreamboat:
    And who knows, guys? Maybe the IE upgrade will be even better than 5.5!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, and maybe buffalo will fly out of my butt [​IMG]

But hey, strainger things have happened. It does seem to be a little faster now that I checked those things in the tools bar. Thanks.

8. rebound.K-357

rebound.K-357

(visuals) Deleted!

Are you still getting the "Page not found" error?

lol

[This message has been edited by rebound.K-357 (edited 02-16-2001).]

9. Wet Chicken

Yes. And thank you for deleting the visuals [​IMG]

10. rebound.K-357

rebound.K-357

Is AOL your internet service provider?

11. Wet Chicken

Oh God No :p I wouldn't use AOL if they were the last provider around.

I keep forgeting to mention another big and vvvvery annoying problem with IE 5.5. I have it set up to dial up whenever it starts up. However with IE 5.5 it keeps overriding and resetting my settings to "Never" dial everytime I boot up. So basically now I have to reset it everytime I turn on my computer, it will not remember the settings that I've entered in [​IMG]

12. rebound.K-357

rebound.K-357

Thank heavens you're not using AOL [​IMG]

I wish I was more fluent with Windows Millenium Edition, but there are a few things you can do in hopes to improve matters:

If you have a printer, print this out and disconnect from the net before continuing; have your Windows ME CD handy.
    ------------------------------------------------

Clean out your internet cache. All of it. To do this, right click on the Internet Explorer icon on your desktop (not on your toolbar) and select Properties. Click on Delete Files (exempt offline pages if you have any saved, no check in the box.) Click OK.
    * Otherwise go into the Control Panel and double click on Internet Options to access and delete internet cache.
    Click on the Settings button- opposite of Delete. Then "View" files. At the top- >Edit; Select All. >File; Delete; Yes. Click OK.

Next-

Go to Start>Find>Files or Folders> type this in:

*.tmp,~*.*

Delete everything that is found.
    Click OK and exit out of this and back to your desktop.

Do another Find Files or Folders but this time specify: *.pwl

Rename the files found to (filename).old
    Close the Find Files or Folders box.

Next; uninstall your Dialup Adapter (go to the Control Panel, Network- double click on it); click once on Dialup Adapter to select it, then click the Remove button.

**Reboot**

Then go back in the same way; Control Panel, Network, and select Add. Then select Adapter from the list.
    Scroll down to Microsoft and click it once to highlight; another list will appear on the opposite side, you see it- Dialup Adapter. Click on that once to highlight and then below on the OK button.
    Windows may ask you for the CD-ROM install disk at this time.

After successful reinstallation of Dialup Networking, you should see (at least) these items in the Network box:
    Microsoft Family Logon, Dialup Adapter, TCP/IP. Click to highlight Microsoft Family Logon and select Remove. (Ignore Windows messages- re:Network not complete)

Starting with TCP/IP at the bottom (assuming.) Double click on TCP/IP and click OK to an editing warning message that may appear.

Set these values to the according tabs:
    IP Address- Obtain automatically
    WINS Configuration- Disable WINS Resolution
    Gateway- No values should be entered here. Should read: (blank).(blank).(blank).(blank); with NO installed Gateways.
    DNS Configuration: Disable DNS
    Bindings: (should be blank)
    Advanced: (should read: None)
    NetBIOS: (no check in the box)

After setting these values, click OK and have your Windows ME CD-ROM handy.
    Answer No to a reboot/restart question if prompted-

Double click on the Dialup Adapter device. Under the Advanced tab, click on IP Packet Size. Change to: Small.
    Click OK and OK again.

**Reboot** once again, this is important to ensure Dialup Networking changes take effect.

Reconnect to the internet and attempt to visit websites which previously returned "Page not found" errors.

*Footnote: If you want the Microsoft Family Logon (password prompt at startup,) just go back into Network through the Control Panel, (confirm "Yes" to any Windows pop-up box about an incomplete "Network") and Add>Client; Microsoft Family Logon. Click OK and OK and reboot.

~

13. Wet Chicken

When I did a search for the temp files I came up with FOLDERS (not files) in DOS marked '~B003' or something like that. Should I delete those too ?

14. rebound.K-357

rebound.K-357

Yes, and leave them in your recycle bin for a couple days to make sure nothing is still using them (chances of that are remote.)

15. Wet Chicken

OH MY GOD !!!

I tried doing what you said and when I reboot my computer it started to make these strange noises, and then this smoke started to come from the computer and then, he he he, JUST KIDDING !!! I always wanted to say that in a response here. Everything's fine!!!

Hope I didn't give you a heart attack [​IMG]

Well Windows ME must be completely different from 98 because I couldn't add a dial up adapter like that. In fact they don't even list it. They have Client, Protocol, and Service. I tried and tried and tried but it would not work with any configuration. So I went and did a 'System Restore' (God I love that feature) and now it is where it was before I started. Everything else up to that part worked fine though.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/31533

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice