1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Here's the fix for KB922880 and IE 7 Beta 3 and iertutil.dll problems

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by misspizzazz, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misspizzazz

misspizzazz Thread Starter

Hi all,

1. If you are having an issue with the IE 7 Beta 3 let me tell you how it happened. When you downloaded it there was a screen that asked you if you wanted to update at the same time..."sure" you were thinking...that download caused all your problems. Next time you download it don't checkmark that box! This was straight from Microsoft support.

2. Your IE didn't finish loading and you rebooted. No difference. It tells you that you have a problem because of the infamous iertutil.dll. Lots of your other stuff may not work either. If you try to open IE you will get a blank page. Don't worry! It's pretty easy to search and find the iertutil.dll online and even on here. I had trouble with it even after I had it. I couldn't open it....but don't worry. Just find your Systems 32 folder...do a search if you have to...and just copy it in that folder. Restart your system.

3. I used my laptop to download the IE 7 Beta 3 to a portable disk ...don't just run the download ...save it in order to put it somewhere where you can transfer it to the system with the problem.

Now the rest of this I got from PCWorld. I know it worked for me, but I'm not sure if it is safe. There is a warning that it could mess up your computer if you don't do it correctly. I did it, and it worked perfectly. I wanted to have the Beta version and so this worked like a charm.

The person on PC World got this info from: http://tinyurl.com/7skpb

First thing to fix is 'why' the installation of IE7 Beta 3 is failing. To
    make a very long story short, Disable ZoneAlarm firewall and Webroot Spysweeper. I didn't have any of these, but I did disable everything I knew I had that was related to spyware and anti-virus.(Oh yea please enable Windows Firewall before disabling ZoneAlarm please ). Now click on 'start' and 'run' and in the 'run' box type 'regedit' and click 'ok'

(Regedit disclaimer - USE AT OWN RISK YOU CAN HARM YOUR COMPUTER IF YOU MESS
    UP)

The registry editor will open up, please make it full screen. If you don't see the word 'My Computer' on the left hand side of the screen, hold the LEFT ARROW on the keyboard until you do. If this does not work, click on the left hand side of the registry editor window and try again.

Now that you see "My Computer", click on the little + next to it.

Right click on "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT" and select 'permissions'. A permissions window will now open, you should see just the word "Everyone". Click on 'Add...". Now type the word Administrator in the box and click on 'Check Names'. Once that is done click on 'ok'

Now, click on the word "Administrator" so it's blue and put a check in 'full control' and click 'apply' and 'ok'. You may get the hourglass for a minute here. Once that is done, close down registry editor.

Now run the installer for IE7 Beta 3, making sure to uncheck the box that "updates" the installation. Upon sucessfull installation, you will reboot your computer to find that everything works just fine.

Tammy

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488709

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice