1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Herringhausen

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Herringhausen, Dec 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Herringhausen

Herringhausen Thread Starter

I operate an Xante Accel-a-writer G3 printer on my current computer using a parallel connection under windows XP, 32 bits.
    My new computer is operating under windows 7 in 64 bits and Xanate suggests using the ethernet connection (my new computer does not have a parallel port).
    I do have a modem and use the internet via wireless on our 3 computers but I have no idea how to connect the printer.
    The printer does have an ethernet connection so obviously I have to run the proper cable from printer to router - then what?? Can someone walk me through this - there are many numbers in the manual - IP address, Subnet Mask, etc....
    thanks

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I would bet you can find a manual for your printer on how to do this.

3. Hughv

Hughv

Catch 22 on page 5-26:
    "Your PC must be directly connected to the printer through a
    parallel or serial cable to use XANTÉ Command Center.
    You cannot set the commands through a network."
    You should be able to buy a parallel port card, but it might make more sense to get a new printer.

4. Herringhausen

Herringhausen Thread Starter

thanks - a new printer might be the answer although it's pretty expensive since it prints 11x17.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If "current computer using a parallel connection" is still accurate then the Catch 22 doesn't apply to you. You can configure the printer on the network (connect it by ethernet to the router) using your current computer, and then all computers on your LAN should be able to use it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029286

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice