1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hewlett Packard All in one Printer

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by hhornbake, Sep 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hhornbake

hhornbake Thread Starter

A few days ago, I installed a new HP officejet 6110xi. It seems to work fine, but now my computer is doing funny (not really) things, i.e. ms word locks up when I try to save a file. I'm using windows 98. Any ideas?

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

In Safe Mode run ScanDisk, Defrag and a updated virus scan. You must Temporarily disable your screen saver before you run these programs (choose None) Update your anti-virus' definitions before booting to Safe Mode:

(tap F8 five times per second during a restart; Choose option number three (3) in the Windows Startup dialog box using the arrow keys below the Delete key, and strike the Enter key; Click Ok when prompted).

3. hhornbake

hhornbake Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply! I'm not too savvy about computers so I must ask a few questions before I follow your directions. What is safe mode? How do I disable screen saver? Thanks again. I'll look for your reply.

4. Styxx

Styxx Banned

SafeMode is a 'safe working area' diagnostic Windows environment where only basic drivers are loaded, like the video drivers - 16 colors versus 2 million, No Sound, CD-ROM or Anti-virus drivers are loaded either. The screen saver operates there though and will interrupt ScanDisk or Defag and prevent them from finishing which is why it must be disable before ScanDisk/Derfag, in Normal or Safe Mode.

Disable your screen saver by right-clicking your desktop; ponting to Properties, clicking the Screen Saver tab and using the drop-down arrow under the Screen Savers section to cxhoose None. Click Apply then Ok buttons.

Here are the proper Advanced setting for ScanDisk:

Start ScanDisk (Start; Programs; Accessories; System Tools); Check the Standard box; Check Automatically fix errors; click the Advanced button, the settings should be as follows - Display Summary - Always, Log File - Replace Log, Cross-Linked Files - Delete, Lost File Fragments - Free, Check Files For - check (Invalid File Names) should be checked.

These are all just basic troubleshooting start points.

5. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Here's another, but it's run in Normal Mode:

Cure Your Ills With the System File Checker
    Windows 98

When you're having trouble with Windows 98--and who doesn't at some point--you might want to try a little-known utility called the System File Checker. Close all open programs and go to Run in the Start menu. Type sfc and click OK.
    Check the Scan For Altered Files radio button and click Start. SFC will look for files that have been corrupted. If it finds any, you can use it to extract clean versions of the files directly from your installation disk.

Or

To start System File Checker, follow these steps:
    Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, click System Information, and then click System File Checker on the Tools menu.

If it won't finish you might have to disable your anti-virus' Real-Time scanner, but that's rare.

6. hhornbake

hhornbake Thread Starter

Thank you both for your help. I've been working on my problem for two days and finally I think I have it fixed. Don't know what caused it in the first place, but someone told my that there are problems with connecting printers with USB cables under Windows 98. Anyway, I did a complete scan as well as defrag, and that didn't help. The main problem was that the "save as" command in MS Word locked up every time. I found a different version of MS Works at my place of business, installed that at home and now there is no problem (so far), but I still cannot save in MS Word. What's the difference between Works Word Processor and Word? Also, attachments that come on my email, if they include links that are in the main body of the email, do not open by means of the paper clip. Is this normal, or is this another symptom of something wrong? Thanks Everyone. Helen

7. Styxx

Styxx Banned

The difference between MS Word and MS Works is that Works creates its own Databases and Spreadsheets as well s a word processor. It won't open Excel Spreadsheets for example, just those created in Works. MS Word is a professional grade word processor only.

As to you not being able to open attachments (messages with a paper-clip icon) in Outlook Express (OE) it's a simple configuration change. With OE open click the Tools menu; Options; Security tab; Clear the box next to, 'Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus', click Apply; Click Ok.

8. hhornbake

hhornbake Thread Starter

Wow, thanks Styxx! I did just as you said, and now I can get attachments! Is there any danger with getting a virus now that I've unchecked that box. I do have Norton and get the regular update service. Do you have any idea why my "save as" feature in Word locks up? I have recommended this website to my brother in law who thinks he has a worm on his laptop. Thanks again. Helen

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome.

Not sure why anyone would tell you that, I have 3 systems with 98 and HP all in ones USB and they all work fine.

10. Styxx

Styxx Banned

hhornbake:

Well sure it's easier to get viruses with that OE feature disabled, that's why it best to keep that box checked. And so?, so you've got NAV the best there is, if you don't keep your definitions updated weekly your really taking chances then, with that OE feature disabled, as well.

I use a free AV call AntiVir (German program) from http://free-av.com. Its full featured except doesn't scan incoming and outgoing e-mail like NAV or free AVG, but I keep that OE feature enabled, OK? Unless I know, and have met, the sender - I don't open attachments even then but only rarely!

AcaCandy is correct on the Printers/USB thingy. It's a non-issue.

Look, to correct the Word lockups, you're simply going to have ensure you've backed all your Word documents, I believe they all have a .doc extension, to removable media (and test your backups for reliability) (don't know how to test your backups or make good backups?, just ask) :) then uninstall Word; Restart your computer; Then back at Desktop re-install Word and then get your backups back on Hard Disk (HDD) for Word to use again.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164470

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice