1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hewlett Packard PSC500 Works/won't work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tumbleweed36, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a Hewlett Packard PSC 500 that works fine on my spare computer. However, on my main computer, it will not work. When I try to print something, it says document failed to print. Some times, it will start printing a bunch of garbage at the top of multiple pages, but does not print anything else. It just prints some gibberish at the top of the page, ejects it, then does the same to multiple pages until I push the off button.

There are no external drivers for XP, and Windows XP is supposed to have the drivers for it. I know that is true, because it works on my spare computer with XP. I have to say that at one time, it did work on my new motherboard, but about two weeks ago, it just up and began to do this.

Another fact, is that when it sets itself up on this computer and it finds the printer, the properties lists the port as DOT HP 500 PSC Printer. I have changed the ports to LPT1, LPT2, etc., but to no avail. I have tried the troubleshooting area and it does not change the outcome of what the printer does and everything seems to be set up properly. This motherboard is only about two months old and it worked fine with the printer when I first purchased the board. The board is an A8N-sli deluxe. HELP, I need this printer to work on my computer.

2. SacsTC

SacsTC

3. Tumbleweed36

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. When I click on that link (have tried several times), i somehow get this error message:

Please Wait: Initialization in progress
    Getting the latest product information... Please wait 30 seconds

Note:

If this page does not automatically reload in 30 seconds,
    hit the reload button in your browser.

It starts to load, then the message stays and it says done! Could you please check to make sure the link works for me?

4. Tumbleweed36

Hi,

Finally got the link to work....will read it and get back with you. Thanks

5. Tumbleweed36

Hi,

I have been through all of the link and it makes no difference. Thanks for trying to give me a boost anyhow.

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The smptoms you describe are consistent with the printer driver not being correct or recognised for the printer.

That is why you get a few "garbage" characters at the top of each sheet.

The DOT HP 500 PSC will be slightly different I suspect, if you expand the column in that display.
    It's probably something like DOT4_001, but truncated in the view you have. I am not sure thats correct though, as my USB one installs as a DOT4_001, I would not have expected a parallel port one to do so but cannot test that theory as I have none here to try.

But as it works on your other PC you surely have looked at how it installed itself, i.e. DOT00... or LPT1?

It connects via the parallel port according to Google, so one would expect LPT1.

One issue I am aware of is the quality of the cable used, as it mattered less with older slower PCs but with faster CPU's a high quality IEEE 1284C rated printer cable is needed.

Also the parallel port must be configured in the BIOS to Bi-Directional, or EPP/ECP.

XP offers basic support for the printer, but probably not the scanner section. However I was aware of the limitations when I bought the PSC 750 when it first came out, I was not prepared to risk the 500 on XP. HP supported the PSC 750 about 6 months later with a full set of drivers (and its still a very good unit to use) but the PSC 500 still has limited support only from XP.

If you look at Google, you will find that others have problems with the PSC 500 on XP as well. It seems to be OK on some systems and not on others.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!