1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hex Question

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by NameTooLong, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NameTooLong

NameTooLong Thread Starter

You know how when you you open a file with a hex editor it say PK if it's a zip or RAR if it's a rar file? Well what file type starts out with MZ? I think I have a file that's been renamed and I don't know what file type that is.

2. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

not sure exactly what you mean. when I open a file with a hex editor, it gives me code, but nothing about file extension or anything.

but anyways file.mz would be a

MZ= Midiprg Mozart compressed file

3. NameTooLong

At the very beginning of a zip in a hex editor it says PK, try it and see what I mean... I want to know what file type has MZ at the beginning and I already knew about the Mozart file by going to Filext and I don't think that's it.

4. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

oh you are talking about the pkzip header.

all zip files I have are compressed with winzip and there is no header, but I know what you mean now.

So you are trying to find out what file would have an mz header.

we'll see what we can find, but if the file is small and isn't private or anything, you can send it to me via email so I can have a look see.

5. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

6. NameTooLong

The file in question is 127mb in size and came off a certain site specializing in the field of applications and games (let's just leave it at that). It is named rfs.exe and is supposedly Red Faction for the PC. It has no viruses according to Norton Antivirus 2003 with the latest definitions as of today. I tried running it and nothing happens, not even a flash of a dos window. I renamed it to various archive extensions with no luck. I'm beginning to lose hope so if you don't know, don't worry about it.

7. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

I gotcha. I would have done just like you did and tried renaming it to zip or rar etc.

8. NameTooLong

I just ran my own search using the same keywords as you with Copernic Agent Basic and figured out that MZ is found in DOS executables. Problem figured out but unfortunatly not solved.

9. NameTooLong

Thanks for the help anyway.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114755

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice